Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How many of you are "civil servants?"

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by canopener, May 12, 2005.

1. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    So, on the 21st of this month, I'm taking the PA Civil Service test for Environmental Trainee. I know different states and different subject areas have completely different tests, I'm wondering what your experiences were with civil service exams/employment. Do you like working for the state? How relevant was the exam to current employment? Has state employment been a good start for other jobs? Discuss.

2. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Well, technically I work for the state. I teach music at a K-8 school in Tracy, California. There's no entrance exam, per se, but there were way too many while in school getting my credential.

Working for the state sucks sometimes. Education is far, far too politicized. I really do think that it should be UNTOUCHABLE in terms of budget cuts. I don't say this because I want more money. I say it because I used to work at a school in the projects: literally. Every time there was a budget cut, we lost a vital part of our staff, someone who was responsible for helping kids who used to be crack babies and who now have major learning disabilities.

I don't care what anyone says: .01% of politicians actually care about education.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm a Federal Civil Servant.
    ...there was a test involved(a baboon coulda passed it on a bad day); general aptitude, anything more was up to the individual(which is OK by me), although my current position offers many opportunties for training...too much, if you ask me(*see below).

There is good & bad.
    The "good'-
    I am basically my own boss...I get to do my thing with very little supervision.
    With all the vacation time + Federal holidays...I probably work 10 months out of the year.
    Medical insurance & retirement is OK...there's also a 401k plan, too.

The bad-
    The incompetent boobs tend to get promoted("passing the trash") &/or swept under the rug into a harmless but cushy 'position'.
    The Human Resource Office is way too PC...we had an opening, I pushed for a past co-worker who was an ex-Airborne paratrooper with an electrical/elex background...he didn't get the job because HRO decreed there weren't enough "female elex technicians". So, we got a 60-year old ex-Police Dispatcher. Needless to say, I have to work TWICE as hard when we work together(in fact, I now go at it alone...it's just too damn frustrating explaining the basics over & over & over & over & over...).

*My earlier comment about too much training-
    Some do nothing but sign up for classes, seminars, etc.
    They're the most 'trained' in the section & yet they still can't tie their own shoes without constant guidance. Go figure.

4. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    I did the Civil Servant (CS) thang for 15 years before bailing out into the private sector. I just couldn't deal with being forced to suppress any inkling of creative thought or originality. :rollno:

Three months after leaving (while working at my first 'real' job) I returned from a 3 month project overseas. That afternoon I received an invitation to join my VP in his office for a chat. After chit-chat on life alone in the south eastern end of Korea he pops this question at me ... "So while you were on-site at xxxxxxx working the pilot, what company policies did you have to establish to make the deal work? When our new customer arrives here for follow-up meetings next week, I want to make sure I don't contradict any policy you needed to enact to make things go forward." I was commended for thinking freely/creatively to put together an implementation package that moved us forward on a $1M+ deal! :hyper: Definitely NOT something I ever dreamed could happen to me - especially if I had been working my old CS detail. :eek:

After the past 10+ years of freedom it would be near impossible to go back to a CS type job. But this is just my personality. For others I know, it's extremely important that they know exactly what they'll do their entire day the instant their alarm clock goes off, and a CS type job is just perfect for them. To each their own.

R

5. Flanders

Flanders

Oct 30, 2002
    Reno, NV
    Does being a masked, crime-fighting, master criminal count?I didn't think so.