Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how many of you are in multiple bands?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by nonsqtr, May 23, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    It looks like I'm about to join a second cover band, in addition to the one I'm already in. And I have an original band too. They're all different, in terms of musical style.

How many of you have multiple bands going? Are they the same type of music, or different?

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Three- two very different worship bands, and one secular rock band that plays all originals. It's not that hard to split up my time between the three, but it makes for very busy Sundays.

3. I am.

But one's on hiatus untill the drummer's basement is unflooded and fixed.

So, I guess I'm in 1 1/2 bands

4. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Gigging fairly regularly in a three piece cover band playing classic rock. Also freelancing, which currently has one gig on the roster for early August, but most calls are closer in. I have a recording project in June for a female songwriter/singer/pianist.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Two bands. A country-western one thats been together for ten years, with three members from our group 25 years ago, and a classic/current rock/pop/blues band that's been together for a couple years. The rock band gigs more because the lead guitarist in the country band has two kids now, with the original singer in the country band (they're married). He broke Rule #1: don't "date" the girl singer. We've had five or six girl singers since she quit to spring forth with progeny.

6. Im in a semi-pro jazz quintet, and a surf rock band thats just getting on its feet.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Three gigging bands and (apparently) a recording project.

My #1 band does motown/r&b, blues, funk, classic rock. My other bands know that they have to schedule around this band or find a sub for me. This simplifies things considerably.

#2 band (no pun intended) plays country/bluegrass, blues, rock'n'roll, classic rock.

#3 band does modern rock and classic rock.

Hopefully I'll be asked to lay down more tracks for the recording project. It's one guy paying local players to perform on his originals in his Pro Tools studio.

8. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I am a two-band man. I have a blues/classic rock gig that doesn't require a whole lot of attention and I am currently shopping for a new project since my country experiment imploded. I think most of the musicians I know have more than one project going.

9. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    1) an all-original rock/alternative trio

2) a nine member worship group that needs to rehearse more.

10. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I play drums with a recently revived group that plays from bluegrass to blues called the "Surreal McCoys." When we started we were kind of ahead of our time for this area. We fit under the now popular title "Jam Band." I play bass with a three piece group that does funky covers of classic rock, blues, and soul. We have a female singer and do a lot of "chick" tunes. I also play in a group that plays christian rock and covers tunes by groups like Third Day, Casting Crowns, etc. At one time I was bummed because I didn't have anything going on. Now it's almost too much!

11. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    im in a blues band, we jam a lot, play a lot of covers,adn are writinng some origonals

im also in a metal band, we kind of just got started, but everyones leaving for the summer, adn the drummer is going off to college.

im also in the band at my temple, we gig once a month or so, but were currently without a drummer.

12. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I'm in a few bands: PUSH is my main band; LBB is a spin-off original band without PUSH's lead singer/guitarist; I play backup bass in a couple of other local cover bands and some neighbors and I are starting up a garage band just for kicks and I'm playing rhythm guitar in that one.

So, I guess I am in five bands :help:

DD

13. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm in two other bands, and I play different instruments in them, helps to keep things from getting stale. I play drums in one and guitar in another.

14. Bass in one, guitar in the other.

15. 1) all-original straight-up rock band...two guitars+bass+drums...look for a gigspam very soon for my first gig with these guys :smug:

2) backing band for solo pop/rock artist, mostly covers, some originals...guitar+keys+bass+drums+solo vox...first gig coming up in July

3) horn pop/rock band, mostly originals, some covers...guitar+keys+bass+drums+trumpet+sax...I've been in this band for as long as I've been playing bass; it'll probably never again be more than a side project, but I love it.

I play bass and sing various levels of backing vox in all three groups. Since I'm still in the "learning songs" stage for the first two, it definitely keeps me busy :hyper:

16. * raises hand *

I'm in 3 bands right now, and have another project for a one-time show, and I do some freelance, too.