Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How many of you are making the six string jump for christmas?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The_Ryst, Dec 19, 2005.

1. :)

I've saved up enough money plus my parents help (thank God my mom is a Violin teacher and supports music!) to score a six (I'll tell about it once I get it...don't wanna jinx anything...I know I know, but still...)

We're picking it up today.
    (Can't play it until sunday)
    d'oh.

Oh well....still....I can't wait.

So how many of you are making "the transition" this christmas (and you know it, I mean some will be surprised I guess) and how long do you think it'll take you to fully adapt?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Six string bass or guitar?

As a bassist, I've typically gotten guitar goodies for Christmas.

3. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Well, I am, sort of, hopefully. If my new Benavente fretless 6 arrives this week, which it could, then I'll be playing that quite a lot. But it's not like I'm jumping away from my 7-string.

I'm just hoping Chris will put aside all the other nice instruments he's working on, and finish mine first. ... perhaps not. :)

4. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I'm actually making the jump from 6 string to 5 string.
    That doesn't mean I will stop playing the sixer but I just wanted to have a 5.

5. smartinson

smartinson

Dec 15, 2005
    Bettendorf, IA
    I plan on making the jump from 5 to 6 this Xmas....pending any 'unforseen' expenses. I'm not sure how long it will take me to adapt to the six. I think if I tune from B-B it shouldn't be too hard to make the transition...knock on wood.

6. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    I'm adding a 6 to my arsenal but it won't be till after christmas as I have more money then and also due to the vagaries of the used market.

7. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    A guitar? Jumped one one 2 weeks ago - gotta love Rondo.

I regret not getting the Green maple quilt though, but spalted 3TS ain't bad either.

I think I finally learned Switchfoot's "Stars"...so hooray for me!

8. got my btb with distant blue today...can't play till christmas!

9. If you are committed to playing that 6-string, it shouldn't take you very long. The length of getting used to time also depends on how comfortable you are with note relations theory on a fretboard tuned in 4ths. If you are really comfortable with knowing which note X will be where in relation to any note Y, then you will make the adjustment within a week, provided the string spacing doesn't get you.

10. I just made the jump from 4 to 6. As Daniel said, if you are comfortable with music theory, everything is relative. I think I've already adjusted and I got my 6 on Sunday :D

11. Nova

Nova

Apr 19, 2002
    Williamstown, WV
    My girlfriend bought me a guitar, if that's what you mean by six string.

12. I have a Reverend guitar on order.

13. I'm jumping from four to six, with an Ibanez BTB1206E.

Should arrive this Friday.

14. Besides, I'm going 6...

+1.

:ninja: