Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how many of you are self-employed?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Feb 27, 2005.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Anyone here "on their own" for income?

2. I just quit a job to move to go to college, i've got some savings, ect, and for the forseeable future will be doing contracting(laborer, construction, concrete, sewer, plumbing,ect) while i go to school. It's been working out, first day looking found some folks looking for a long term laborer, been working all week. If you've got any advice, let me know. :)

3. Ifrit84

Ifrit84 Banned

Aug 27, 2004
    London, England
    After working for more then a fair share of complete idiot dolts that ran businesses, I thought "hey, if a douchebag like that guy can do it, so can I".

Everything worked out great, and best of all, I'm my own boss.....

Been watching that "SMC" Infomercial? That *might* not be the best idea.......

;)

4. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    I am the owner of Atkinson landscaping co.

5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    That's pretty good, one in Washington, one in London, one in Joplin...

Any more? :D

6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I am, but I have some help.

I get social security disability for being legally blind, and my daughter recieves payments because of it as well. The rest of my income (in previous years) was from art sales. There was a year or so when I made all my money from art sales, without SSD. I'm a stay at home father right now, so I also make some spending money by watching my 5 month-old nephew four days a week while my sister's at work.

I do make enough from art sales though where I have to file self-employed and a Schedule C every year.

7. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey Bryan i really enjoyed youre art work! Really liked upon her return. If i wasnt such a broke worthless musician i would try to get a copy of that from ya! lol But very nice work!

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I am. I do nerdly things like set up networks and fix PC's, voice networks etc. It's OK but my income is really variable at times.

9. Jim Ingraham

Jim Ingraham

Nov 14, 2002
    Shillington
    Me too...have been pretty much all my life.. i have an art studio/gallery business and a remodeling/cabinetry business.

10. Me - I scrape a living from making and running music websites and writing for a magazine - I need to earn more though so I'm hoping the press and PR stuff will pick up in the coming months - otherwise I'm screwed....but I do love the fact I get paid for doing stuff I love - not many people out there can say that - you're lucky if you love what you get paid for.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut

12. toytech

toytech

Mar 22, 2004
    San Leandro
    Yep sole owner and employee of Christopher's Auto Repair

13. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I own a small guitar store. Love it. However, sometimes self-employed = unemployed :meh:

14. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Yes. I am in the Commercial Real Estate business, and work on a 100% commission basis.

15. discoboo

discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    i've been a self employed artist for (going on) 4 years now. i work with wood making puzzle boxes. my income is based on how often i want to work. take today for example...i decided to clean the house instead of throwing dust...i didn't make a dime but my place is sparkling. i absolutely love being my own boss. plus, it's given me so much more time to dedicate to playing music. right now i've got three different gigs and i couldn't be happier...
    check out www.puzzleboxguy.com. click on all the stuff we sell and then click puzzle boxes by us and you'll see examples of the kind of work i do. and if you like it, BUY it!