1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How many of you are the graphic designer for your band?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by topper, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Hey fellow TBers! How many of you are also the primary graphic artist for your band?

I am the graphics guy in both of my bands right now. I do all the posters, business cards, t-shirts, cd covers, etc. etc.

I've been in other bands where another band member did this work, but currently it's my job in both bands. I don't mind it, actually I like it. Although having your band mates as "clients" in a graphic design project can be sticky sometimes.

I'm currently obsessing over a design for one band's next CD. Inspiration struck me on Saturday and now (Wed.) I find I can't think about anything else.

So how many other bass players out there double as their band's graphic artist?

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Ive always been the 'graphic artist' for my bands. I usually do all the flyer work, CD artwork, stickers, pins, etc.

Though now Im dating a girl who is also an artist and she's better than me, so Im going to ask her to design all my bands stuff. Mostly.

3. Yep.

4. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    I'm a designer first, and bass player second. If it's your job and you have the portfolio to back it up, then it should be easy to make the final call, but design stuff really gets emotional for people, because you are creating something that represents them.

5. nvd

nvd

Nov 9, 2007
    Virginia Beach
    Guilty, being a designer by day gets me pegged with all the flyers, websites, merch...
    The only thing that aggravates me is most of the rest of the band are programmers and/or developers, you'd think I'd get some help with the web stuffs. Nope!

6. crijan

crijan Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    Endorsing: JH Audio IEMs
    For both bands that I play-in/manage, I hired out the logo design which I then used as the basis for the CD covers, posters, business cards, and websites. I taught myself to do the graphic design and web design in my "free time".

7. I am the band designer, but I am a graphic designer as my day job.

8. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    Been there. I enjoy tinkering with that stuff, though I try to avoid having anything to do with flyers, anymore.

Want to have some fun? Next time they do the big "band photo" thing, swap faces in Photoshop, then print up a nice glossy 8x10 and hand it around, see how long it takes them to freak way out!! :D It never gets old.

Attached Files:

9. That's brilliant and exactly my kind of sense of humor.

10. i do most of mine, but we're barely out the rehearsal room yet. i expect much stress and many squiggly typeface dilemmas in the near future...

11. In the years past, I was since I was the only one who had Photoshop, Draw or AutoCAD. Unfortunately for them, I mostly do technical graphics in engineering reports, so I had no artistic skills. However, if you needed a pie chart, bar graph, or any sort of technical graphical representations of the amplitude of the singer's ego over how much of the audience the ego would drive away, I am your man!

Fortunately, the drummer is now our graphic artist. I gotta say, though, our drummer is pretty bad@** at it, too.

Our demo's CD graphics and a recent flyer:
    Stereo_Earth_Flyer Feb 6 2009 sm.

SE_CD_Label.

12. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    Damn your drummer is definitely a professional.

I do web design and I'm okay with logos...my band just needs to get to choosing a name before we get to loosing a guitar player.

13. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005
    Web, posters, photo editing... I don't do logos (never really saw a need for one personally).

14. WhoSeyes

WhoSeyes

Aug 18, 2008
    Barcelona.
    Yes I'm.

I designed our myspace, our logo, some of our posters (sometimes the venues where we play or ohter bands do that), our CD art (not that great, really) and even logos for some of our songs...

You can have a look at all of that in our space

http://myspace.com/SEYES13

We are lucky and have a couple of girlfriend-photographers with good cameras too. The only drawback is that we could be better good-lookin boys, hehe.

15. Glad to see so many bass players also doing double duty as graphic artists. WhoSeyes, I dig your myspace page. Myspace design is tough to do well and you did a great job.

As I said in my OP, I've been obsessing over the design of a new CD for one of my bands. When it get's a little closer to being done, maybe I'll start a post and ask for feedback.

I find this kind of work consumes me. Once the inspiration for the design hit, I could barely think about anything else. I've been carrying a little mini print of the art in my pocket for days.

16. mpm32

mpm32

Jan 23, 2009
    I always did the graphics work for my bands. I always wanted to have stickers and t-shirts, even for little cover bands. People at gigs love it when you hand them stuff.

My newest band (after a 12 year stop) www.myspace/thebailoutplan

I did the mspace layout and the logo.

Had stickers printed of the logo with the mspace addy.

I'm building a press so I can do the two color logo on Ts. My old screen printing stuff is long gone.

Also I would love to make a banner to put behind us when we play. I need to work on that soon. As a test I tried using krylon fusion on a white tarp. Didn't work, scratches off. I need to get a hold of signpainters vinyl.

Even though we're just doing this for fun and all just hitting 40, I think little things like this set you apart from the other similar type bands in your area.

17. jimb213

jimb213

Nov 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    we hire a guy for our graphics work, but I'm our video producer, as that's my day job. The band usually gives the graphics guy a basic idea, or maybe a stock photo or rough sketch, and he runs with it. So it's still sorta collaborative, and basic ideas come from the band, but we leave the execution to a pro.

18. +1 here!

5sg.

19. WhoSeyes

WhoSeyes

Aug 18, 2008
    Barcelona.

Thanks, hehe.

I understand what you mean, I get obsessed easily too with the projects that I'm working in (not only related to graphic design, put also lyrics issues, marketing issues, college issues, etc). You know, I'cant be without a piece of paper and a pencil to draw sketches, write somethin' or whatever.

Good luck with that CD art.

20. I do our graphics for everything, not to mention coordinate all efforts for merch, book shows, talk to the labels, answer emails, update the myspace, etc. Basically the other guys show up to practice and play their instrument and i do everything else :) But it's all good, i don't mind. The guitarist writes a lot of music, which is a big time saver on me, that takes me a while to do. The drummer is a machine who learns new riffs like he's been listening to them for years. I have no complaints.