1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How many of you bassists wear glasses?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by afinalfantasy, Mar 18, 2008.

Do you wear glasses?

Poll closed Aug 20, 2014.
  1. Yes

82 vote(s)
    65.6%
  2. Contacts

17 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. No

22 vote(s)
    17.6%
  4. Carrots

4 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    I've been wearing them since before my tenth birthday, so over 8 years now. I have astigmatism in both eyes and it pretty much sucks that I can't see far away things. What about you guys?

2. I have old guy-matismism. Need 'em to read, but can't read(music). So as a bassist, no; as an old guy trying to crap or fall asleep, yes. :)

3. Lalabadie

Lalabadie Guest

Jan 11, 2007
    I do too. I'm gonna try contact lenses for the second time soon, but it's hard, since my eyes are dry as hell, and my glasses cool as hell.

4. Wore glasses from about age 8 til 13. My left eye was never very strong (have to force it into focus). Also long sighted in my right eye. Only started wearing glasses again last year (at age 21), now my vision feels worse than ever and i need them quite a bit!

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I don't wear glasses because I don't need them, but in a way, I'm kinda jealous of those who need them because they look pretty cool!

6. Just got my first pair (at 40), for reading small stuff up close (like phonebooks, mags etc.)

But now that I started using them for soldering and other intricate mod stuff etc. I love em.

The only thing I don't like is the eye adjustment when I take em off, kind of a momentary dizzy feeling.

7. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Aye!

8. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    Yes, but I am near sighted (can't see distance). Use them when driving and wear them around the house, thats about it. Otherwise I'm usually fine without them.

9. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Used to need them for distance, had pretty awful vision.
    Wasn't a problem for playing music. One advantage was that early on, when I was still new to being on stage, I could take them off and the crowd would disappear from my vision, so I wouldn't feel nervous.

The one impact musically for me was trying to learn to read music in school - at the time my glasses were old and not quite right, but I couldn't afford new ones, and so I just gave up on reading because it was too hard to focus on the notes on the page. (trying to learn it now though)

I got lasik about 4 years ago and it has been great for me. Of course, as an aging fart now I need reading glasses, but being able to be without glasses 90% of the time (and for all my outdoor and sporting activities) was a huge win for me.

JK

10. I just started wearing them last year and it SUCKS. I have to wear them in order to work with tiny screws and small parts. Working in a dusty envionment with glasses on SUCKS!!!! I can read fine without them but I need them to drive. I can't see things in the distance, I must have midrangesitedness :confused:

11. I've had to have corrective lenses since I was eight or nine. I got contacts when I was 15, and wore those up to about a year ago, but I ran out of them and have just been wearing glasses. I still have my last set of contacts that I wear for shows (only Elton John and Rivers Cuomo can rock and roll with glasses on) but I really need to order more. I was just about to go in and get an eye exam and all that, but my car ended up needing $550 worth of brake work, so the contacts got put on the back burner.

12. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    My eyesight isn't too bad, but I have glasses for distance work, e.g. watching TV, reading lecture notes off a board, etc

13. Glasses and contacts... I've been wearing my glasses a lot more recently because I'm on my last pair of contact lenses and my appointment to order new ones isn't until April 1st.

14. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    I'm 45, and have worn glasses since I was 8. I'm terribly nearsighted, and have astigmatism in my left eye. That, and now I'm getting "old people eyes", too. When I wear my contacts, I have to use reading glasses to see charts and lyric sheets at jams. So...I try to memorize *everything*. At my age, this is a challenge, but I'd rather work hard to memorize stuff than to wear glasses when I play. When I sweat, they slide down my nose, and I have to wait for an open string to push 'em back up! LOL!

Cherie :D

15. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    My husband's bassist used to play without corrective lenses, with that "non-crowd" effect. Right up until he walked off the edge of a 5' high stage and hit his head, resulting in a concussion. He couldn't see the edge, and just walked right off it.

So, he wears contacts, now. ;)

Man, I wish I could get lasik! I'd love to get rid of these Mr. Magoo glasses I've got.

Cherie :bassist:

16. I've been wearing glasses since I was 17, I'm mildly nearsighted. Until recently, I could "spoof" the driver's license eye exam and get my license without the glasses requirement (I always drove WITH glasses, I'm not stupid!).

I refuse to wear contacts or have surgery, for some reason the one major phobia I have is someone or something TOUCHING my eye.

:spit:

I wear my glasses on gigs, but have a tendency to get a bit excited and flip them off....

:hyper:

17. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    Contacts for me. Glasses give me tunnel vision.

18. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    I'm near-sighted, wearing glasses since I was 11 or something. It kinda grew worse and worse, but now my vision stabilized at -5.5. Tried out contacts, didn't like them: my vision just couldn't get into focus with them, although wearing them while moshing at a gig is a plus.

19. I have been wearing glasses since I was about 9, contacts since I was 13. I am nearsighted, but really so. I can't even read without help. My vision has stabilized now so I hope to be getting lasik in the near future.

lowsound

20. bluevoodoo

bluevoodoo

Dec 15, 2007
    minneapolis
    bassists should be wearin shades...