Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How Many of You Cats are on Audioscrobbler?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Against Will, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I have an aversion towards mock internet communities. Things like Friendster and Live/DeadJournal. Something about them seems so forced, plus they're an unneeded distraction, and I don't like most of the people that frequent them. I am only human though; I joined thefacebook when my school was added to it, because my friends did, and now I've joined Audioscrobbler.

Audioscrobbler, for those who don't know, is this web community based around music. You download a plugin that takes the info from your computer's music player (be it iTunes, Winamp etc.) and send the info to your account on the site. So, you see all the latest tracks you've listened to, you're most common plays, most common artists etc. After a while, it begins offering you reccommendations based on your musical choices. Some of these reccommendations aren't that great, but some can be kind of cool.

So...who else has succumbed?

2. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I've found one, jenderfazz. I added him as a friend, and I'm kind of hoping there's a connection.

If not, :meh:
    If so, :smug:

3. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    It looks like LastFM is much more involved than Audioscrobbler. Audioscrobbler just gives you suggestions, I don't know anything about creating your own radio show.

4. suicas

suicas

Mar 12, 2004
    UK
    One of my students wrote this as his final year projects, it seems to have taken off pretty well.

Tried using it for a while, but didn't find it that useful. Main problem is that lots of people now have vast mp3 collections, and lots of people leave their player on random.

As a result you often don't get much correlation between what they actually like listening to, and what actually gets played.

5. Yeah, that's me alright... So you're the one who added me! I was pretty surprised at first, hehe. Yeah, I'm at http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/jenderfazz
    It's a pretty cool little utility. There's some downtime and the top artists and tracks haven't updated in a little while due to some work on it, but it's no big deal. It's interesting to see what I listen to, and the recommendations section is pretty cool. I've checked out mroe than a few new bands thanks to that thing.

EDIT: By the way, if we're enough people, we could probably make a Talkbass group. I'm not a member of any group, but I think it pools up the songs played by the members of the group into a big bunch. It would be cool to see the bands we most listen to. Just a further extension of the Talkbass community.