Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How many of you consider fixing up every bass you have?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StrudelBass, Jul 13, 2002.

1. StrudelBass

StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    California
    I was just thinking, if I'm doing it with my essex, why not do it to my Cort GB24? Custom jobs for everyone!

BTW, this was just an excuse to ask if I should bother fixing up a Cort GB24. :D

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I already upgraded 2 of my 4 basses.
    The Soundgear 1000E alread has new Basstec humbucking pickups that improved the sound a lot over the stock Ibanez pups.
    The Fenix 5 J Copy has a Elastic Trem Systems (ETS) Tuning Fork 3D bridge, new pickups will follow.
    The Hohner J Fretless is too crappy for an upgrade.
    My main bass is still in original condition, but I want to replace the Bartolinis with Le Fay Rough Crystals in the next months - the Barts are a little too dark for my taste.

3. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I get el-cheapo Yamahas for the express purpose of replacin' everything I possibly can :D.

I'd never consider tweakin' my Rob Allens, coz they're already perfect :rolleyes::).

4. My originally-P.O.S. Tanglewood has DiMarzio Model P and J pickups. I'm getting some Q-Parts custom red abalone knobs, and maybe some Gotoh tuners. The bridge is non-standard, so getting a replacemnt would be a real ball ache.

5. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Maybe check out WooSung Chorus? They're a Korean retailer (wholesaler?)
    with some "different" bass bridges available. Including 4 and 5-string MM's,
    and these individual 'Mann-Made' types...

[​IMG]

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'm upgrading my Essex, and I have a silver J bass body that I'm looking for a neck for. Other than that, I'll leave by babies as is.

7. Aside from the dozen or so mods I've already done, I've got a long list of stuff yet to do. I can't really let the collection just sit - gotta tinker all the time.

1. Finish installation of see-through, copper lined control cavity in the CAD-CAM bass. 90% complete.

2. Install brass nut blank in the Fender MIJITSO '62 Jazz. Got the blank, where's the time??

3. Install DiMarzio rear Pup in the Fender MIJITSO '62 Fretless Jazz. Got the part, gotta get some shrink tube.

4. Would love to convert the gold and brass parts on my Kawai to all black. It would require Black Gotoh tuners and either replacement or chemical dying of the original brass bridge. I dunno - brainblocked.

That should keep me busy until spring of '03 I think

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, my Ibanez is schedualed for a new Hipshot bridge come august. The Kingston should have a new Bridge closer to christmas. After that, I've got plans for Dimarzio's in the Ibanez, and a 3 band EQ on the Kingston.

But, if I got a nice bass, I'd probably leave it be.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Several of my basses are slated for upgrades, if I ever get the money.

Ibanez 6 - I have already purchased a Kahler bridge for it, and when I have the $$$ I will buy a full EMG dual soapbar/BQC setup for it. It will also be defretted and have the fingerboard poly coated.

Fender Jazz Geddy Lee - I want to put a J retro in it one of these days.

Westone Quantum - I would like to install the same EMG setup that the original Steinbergers had.

Electra Westone fretless - Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound P bass pickup, and some kind of stacked Jazz humbucker in the bridge. The preamp is fine.

Pedulla Rapture J2 - I would like to replace the pickups with some Barts that have more highs, they are a little too dark for my ideal J bass sound.

The Peavey Foundation and Hamer CH12 will stay stock.

The Cirrus and Sonus Custom are perfect, I wouldn't dream of changing a thing on them.

10. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I initially thought your question was "How many of you would consider giving up every bass you have?"

I am relieved.

I don't think it will do me any good to fix up my Cirrus.

11. Yamaha - stock, want stacked humbuckers. No other plans.

Squier - upgraded pots, new PG, bridge cover, plans for new pups.

Essex - new bridge, plans for new pups, j-retro, new PG

Turser 'Ray copy - defreted, Misfit skull inlays (finished that yesterday, looks sweet), plans for a new bridge, two band EQ, and S-D MM replacement pup.

Yeah, I'd like to upgrade every one of my basses. Only thing stopping me is money.

12. I have an RB5, MIM P, and MIM J fretless.

Both MIM have replacement pickups already, and I have a J-Retro in hand. The Retro was originally going into the RB5 as its only modification, but that has not happened yet. It might go into the MIM J for tinkering purposes. The RB5 would *really* benefit from the J-Retro.

Now, I want to replace the necks on both MIM with Warmoth, but I'd be better off just putting them back to stock and building a pair of Warmoth instead.

The pickup tinkering shows me what I like and don't like in aftermarket pickups. I can build a pair of Warmoth using those pickups and get what I want.

13. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Have ya' got that DiMarzio Will Power P pup yet? :)

14. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    I dunno. When you spend more on parts than the bass cost new, I don't see the point.

You can polish a turd, but when you're done all you have is a shiny turd.

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    But it's such a SHINY turd! Look at it sparkle! Oooo!

:D

16. I always thought that way till I got my Millenium 5 plus.It already has a Hipshot bridge and tuners and great pickups and electronics.
    Thank goodness I've got my Kingston 5.It got a Hipshot bridge last week and I saw Aguilar has a new 3-band onboard preamp with boost and cut and it will run on 9 or 18v.I'll probably tackle that in about a month or so.

17. Every bass has the potential to be upgraded. For some, it's the little things, like straplocks (Dunlops only, please--the 2-way kind). or a sticker on the pickguard, for others, it's active guts to replace passive, etc. Even nice basses qualify. My Warwick FNA got a Hipshot Bass Xtender and the aforementioned straplocks. My MIM fretless J-bass got them as well, along with a BadAssII. When I am ready to seriously consider the pickup replacement, I'll go hang out in that forum for a while to find out more, but I am leaning towards the Barts designed for fretless (2nd choice: Basslines stacked 'buckers). There was only 1 bass owned that needed no changes, but 'twas a Warwick FNA5 with recessed straplocks. I would agree with other posters here who buy cheap-but-decent for the express purpose of upgrading. It seems to me that the entire MIM Fender line was put out with this in mind.

18. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I will eventually put either a Bartolini or an Aguilar preamp in my Kingston 5,and maybe in the Beast 5 as well.

19. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    mim jazz - bart dual coils, gotoh bridge
    mia p-bass - stock, if i were to change it, i would put on a j fretless neck, j bridge pup (dimarzio model j), maybe a dimarzio model p or will power, but for that much (including have a luthier route it) would probably be the same cost of a used warmoth p/j bass, or finding used warmoth pj parts.

20. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I complete refin of my '75 Jazz. Also added CS60s pups and J-Retro to it. It sounds perfect now, so no more mods.

Next is to change pups, shield cavities and upgrade the preamp on my Samick Crapola©

Just bought a black JP-90 body (complete with hardware/electronics) and an aftermarket maple neck with black blocks and binding. Will get an Essex, move that neck to it, refin JP-90 body, and put a fretless Essex neck on it. This ought to keep me busy for a while....