Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How many of you don't use combo amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by appler, Aug 20, 2004.

1. I use a combo amp.

21 vote(s)
    21.2%
  2. I use a separate (head or preamp/power amp)/cab rig.

71 vote(s)
    71.7%
  3. I plug into a 1/4" carrot.

7 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. appler

appler Guest

Who here has ditched the combo amp? I'm kinda scared to do it, but I want to get rid of mine in favor of a more modular rig, like a GK head and a 1x12 and 2x10 combination of cabs, or some such setup. This has been discussed before, but I wanted to post a general poll. So... do you use a combo for lower voume stuff and then have a bigger rig for louder situations, one all-around setup, or a head and a selection of cabinets? Any other info would be appreciated, too. Thanks!

2. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    i just finally put my combo out to pasture. I now am using my Bergie HT112 with my eden head or my rack for smaller stuff.

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I only have a Behringer BX300 'combo' for practice and accompanying a friend on acoustic in a very small room. Otherwise it's a modular system using a big Perreaux amp, custom pre (or old Yammie PB1) and speakers. The current rig, whilst bigger and heavier performs better than any combo I've ever heard and breaks up into a couple of boxes to make it easier to lug to/from the vehicle.

4. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    Combos are too awkward and inflexable. Go with a nice head like an Eden Traveller and a pair of 1x12 cabs and rock! :bassist:

5. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Walkabout Scout combo, 300 watt, removable head, great tone, 49 pounds, 1-12 extension cab when needed, best of both worlds :bassist:

6. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    I use a GK 700RB and 2 Avatar CB112s. It's a nice solid rig, and quite flexible as well. :cool:

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You left out those of us who use both.

8. xJasonSmithx

xJasonSmithx Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    I use a gk 1001rb II and switch out between a 8 ohm avatar 112 and a 4 ohm Peavey 410, I keep the avatar in my bed room and the Peavey in my garage. It works out really well, i like it alot better than using a combo amp / large rig.

-Jason

9. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I used a combo amp when I started out. They're nice because they're cheap, and you don't have to worry about impedance matching, or RMS versus program watts, or whatever. But they're generally not very powerful in band settings, and they are rather inflexible. If your playing is at the point where you're thinking about upgrading, you should definitely look into a pre/power amp setup, as you can do so much more at a much higher volume.

10. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I've got an Ashdown rig although, to be honest, I often tend to end up using whatever's available (whether that's a rig, combo or just going direct to PA through my SABDDI). I love the sound of my Ashdown setup but it's a touch too heavy / cumbersome to lug around when I'm taking public transport to a gig / rehearsal.

I'd like to get a really lightweight speaker to use with the head, which would help me start to take advantage of the modularity of the set up; I moved from a combo (SWR Workingman's 12") as I needed a bit more power and though I might need to expand further but, for most of the situations I've found myself in, it's been more than enough (and never too small) and thus it hasn't been worth the effort to carry it around.

Wulf

11. I donno, I currently AM looking intoa combo. if you want to have more speakers or whatever, you make sure it has an extention speaker jack and plug in. I just don't really think that it's necessary to be the power hog all the time when most of the time you have a PA right next to you that you can hook up to. the soundman has problems with it? Let him work with it, that's his job.

12. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    I traded my BA115 for a GK 210RBS, much easier to transport than the 115.

13. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I ONLY use a combo, but for a reason.

I'm intentionally gigless at this point, I see no reason in dumping a bunch of money into a rig, that is over kill for my basement practicing...

So, my BA115SP is perfect for what I use it for.

IMHO, if you wanna gig, you need a rig.

14. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I keep a combo for rehearsals and such.

There isn't a combo made that can adequately cover a gig for me, unfortunately.

15. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    I use both depending on the band.

One band can be covered with the combo. I used to use seperates for this band, but after being told countless times to turn down I decided a combo would be easier. For the places we play my Ampeg b-100r does fine.

My other band I use a seperates because I need to be louder.

16. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I use the Mesa Scout very often...

Its very portable and rocks heavily...... :bassist:

17. I've never had a combo :cool:

18. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I'm playing through a rack + cabs setup. I have 2 cabs at the moment [both avatar] a 2X10 & a 1X15. I like having the option of using one or both of the cabs. I also just recently bought a preamp from a guy on our boards [is in shipping] and i look forward to having even more tonal options. For me, being a doubler, i think it'd be nice to have one pre setup for electric and another pre setup for upright.

That's all

19. av_rockstar

av_rockstar

Oct 4, 2003
    So. Cali.
    [​IMG]

combo's No combo's here either..........:scowl:
    See Sig. below......The Only way too go...(IMHO)

Jeff..........
    atuworld.com