Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How many of you guys are on a record label?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ThePaste, Jan 21, 2001.

1. If you are, let me know where I can look up info on you.

On a side note, have you guys ever played on some commercial on television, a popular song, or something like that where lots of people are listening to you but don't know it?

PS has anyone heard that slap bass on that Aquafresh commercial, that's pretty cool.

2. My old band "Elder" was on Bullet Proof Records.From what I understand,our album "Plagues and Woes" is on Napster.We don't know how it got there,but it is.As far as commercials and stuff,I've heard my other previous band's music on some radio stations at one time or another.My former lead guitarist told me that he got a royalty from Italy,if I'm not mistakened.We're far from being a household word,but it is cool and strange at the same time.TB member Acacia used t play drums in that band and he has a link to that site.If I were more computer literate,I would have that site posted on this thread.

3. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I was signed to Metal Blade records in the late 80's with a band called Dr. Know on which we recorded an album titled "Wreckage in Flesh." It can also be found on Napster. It was late 80's "crossover" metal/punk. It was the thang at the time but it gives me a head ache to listen to it now. You can download songs like "War Theatre," "Slice of Life," and "Lake of Fire" for a fun filled family treat.

4. odie

odie Supporting Member

I recorded with a band called Battalion in the early 90s. we sounded like a cross between Fates Warning and Queensryche. We had one full length album and a EP.

It was fun but obviously never went any were, as doubt to many peple here have heard of us.

Hey Paleale I own that album I new a few guys who were into your album.

5. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Odie,

Nice to meet you. I figured we had a few fans around somewhere. I wish I could tell you the same about Batallion but I have never heard of them myself, though I know who Fates Warning was and Queensryche,of course.

That's hilarious. There aren't any royalties rolling in these days and the babes and limos we were promised are all gone too. Oh well,man, that's rock and roll.

6. Rajun Cajun

Rajun Cajun

Nov 2, 2000
    I've played for some local car and furniture dealer's comericals.
    anybody else?If so how much did you get paid?

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I'm not signed, but I have been a sideman on a few recordings.

Most were released by the artists on their own label. The only one on a "real" label is "Wolfways" by Michael Hurley first released on the German label Veracity and re-released with some extra tracks by Koch here in the USA.

When I was in college I used to listen a lot to Michael's records (he has also recorded for Folkways, Warner Bros. and Rounder) so doing tours and recording with him was a real thrill.

I did a live show with Michael that was filmed for a movie about people who are still into 8-track tapes :confused:

I've never seen the film but I once got some email from a guy in Ireland who had seen me in it :eek:

Anyway, that's my tiny brush with fame :)

8. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I've never been signed up, but I came close last year. Our drummer knew someone whose son works in A&R for EMI, and gave him our demo in the summer. Months later, we were told they weren't interested, as our type of music isn't popular at the time. They told us that on Christmas Eve (That was nice of them - "Merry Christmas, ya bastards...")

9. i was on cdnow and i noticed you guys are on the cd "the punk tribute to metallica" you guys sound awesome. cool to see a fellow TBer on an actual cd.

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i'm sitting on my copy of moving pictures, right now.

is that what you mean? :D

11. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Hey JR. I wonder what in the hell that is all about. I'll go check it out. Thanks for the info.

12. I've recorded as a sideman on maybe a dozen or so CD's. Most have been relatively specific market projects - a lot have been with a Scottish Dance band that I play with. They sell very well in that particular community, but sales are generally non-existent outside of the Scottish Country Dance scene. I've played on a few independent Rock CD's which, again, aren't huge sellers. For example, I did the sessions for the second album from a duo called Barnaby Creek (from Wisconsin I belive - but the CD was recorded in Toronto).

Probably my most highly distributed CD that I played on would certainly be the Toronto Mendelssohn Choir/Elora Festival Orchestra recording of the Berlioz Requiem on the NAXOS label, which is likely available worldwide. I also played on the soundtrack for the movie "The Confession", which seems to be currently running on pay per view in Canada (which I don't have). I think one of the Baldwin brothers and Ben Kingsley are in it, but I haven't seen it yet. I've also played on some small budget film scores that perhaps dozens of people may have actually seen. ;)

13. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Well, I never made it to a label, but I was on the liner notes for the album from Ravage. Does that count?

14. I'm thanked on the liner notes on the Barenaked Ladies first album 'Gordon' - under Jim Creggan's thankyou's. My band also gets a mention : Bobby Brown and the Scottish Accent. :)

15. Hello Mr. Wolanski, pleased to meet you. :)