1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How Many of You Guys Play In the Classical Guitar Style Sitting Position?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Klaxxi, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Klaxxi

Klaxxi Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Beaumont, TX
    How common among bassists is playing like this? I've found it to be the most comfortable way for me to play sitting down. Idk if its just the way my legs are but the bass likes to move around on me with it on my right thigh, but if i have it between my legs resting on my left leg its a lot more stable. It also puts the neck at a more playable position for me where I don't have to bend my fretting hand's wrist as much. As long as the position of the bass stays the same when I stand up there's nothing detrimental to my playing if I do it this way is there?

Bob Lee (QSC) and gebass6 like this.
  2. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Well, that's the way I practice for at least 80% of my time. Bt at gigs I play standing at least 99% of the time ;)

3. chaak

chaak

Apr 25, 2013
    now here
    that is how i practice too. most comfortable seated position for long practice the only downside is that i feel more strain on my shoulder and wrists accessing frets 1-5 when using my 35 inch scale bass

Bob Lee (QSC) likes this.
  4. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I've tried it, but it makes my shoulder and neck hurt. When I sit I still have the bass hanging as if I'm standing, most of the time. Sometimes I'll set it on my right thigh (I'm right-handed). My favorite position is standing with the neck angled up some.

5. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    100% of my playing is in this position. I realize it looks a little strange, but... so what?

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  6. EarnestTBass

EarnestTBass

Feb 3, 2015
    I am very glad that I took classical guitar lessons prior to picking up the bass. Maintaining correct posture- mechanics of shoulder, arm and hands- staying relaxed- has helped me be better bass player. I now wish that I had received classical guitar instruction from the start.

7. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    I do unless I'm tapping I've found it easier to do 2 handed stuff with my bass on my right leg.

C/S,
    Rev J

8. ba55i5t

ba55i5t

May 24, 2006
    Count me in.

9. MarkA

MarkA I believe in countermelody. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I almost always play standing, even when practicing at home. I angle up my bass a fair amount, though. When I do sit, it's usually in the "classical guitar" position -- body of the bass sitting between my legs, lower curve hugging my left leg rather than sitting on my right. Puts my right arm and wrist in a better (not so bent) position and makes access to the middle and upper registers easier for my left hand. Lower frets are more of a reach than if the bass is on my right leg (and, of necessity, more horizontal) but, overall, I like it better.

The one thing I don't like is that I often find myself placing my left foot atop my right one -- the right one turned on its side -- in order to lift up my left knee and get the bass angled up the way I want. I'm functionally letting my right foot take the place of that little footrest classical guitarists often use. I suppose I could actually get one of those...

Sometimes I'll put on a strap and sit down -- so the bass is hanging from me just the same as if I was standing -- but then I feel I might as well stand. Sometimes, if I'm recording a groove that doesn't venture very high up the neck, I'll place the bass on my right knee, like regular folk. Or I'll do that to give my right foot a break and give my body a change of pace if I've been sitting down and playing a long time.

But, yeah, I usually stand.

10. Bass Growler

Bass Growler

Jul 10, 2015
    Holland
    I stand too. Reason for this is, that your hand position doesn't change between practice at home and band rehearsal or gigs. I do however sit with my acoustic bass. On my right leg.

11. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    I do! Always, when 'shedding. Never when performing.

12. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    I do!Although not classically correct.
    Snapshot_20161015.JPG

13. IF you need to adjust hand position between sitting & standing, your strap isn't adjusted properly.

gebass6, tfer and Rev J like this.
  14. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I virtually always stand, and I don't feel that one fixed strap adjustment is able to compensate for different biomechanics when sitting, in my case.

15. sdrjax

sdrjax

Apr 8, 2017
    For guitar and short scale yeah, but the nut's too far away for me on a 34-35" bass.

16. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I'm a believer in guitar supports if you're always sitting. I've just ordered this one from NeckUp. When it arrives and I've used it a bit I'll post a review.

360-360-595F6D262DCC9837C0F214CF0A062F0B.

With the AGBs that were my main instruments for a long time I tried many different supports and finally settled on the Gitano. It functions exactly like the NeckUp in terms of positioning the instrument so I know this new one is going to work well for me. I could never get the Gitano (or any other one) to work with a solid body but one thing I really liked about the Gitano is it folds and can be left installed if you're using a gig bag. That said anything with suction cups will let go at some point and the added security of the NeckUp attaching to the strap button is a big plus.

noodler likes this.
  17. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I never found that to be true on the 34" scale basses I've played in this position. The extra reach once you get used to it can create a smoother arc from shoulder to elbow to wrist that helps keep the energy flowing from your center of balance from getting choked at those points. Sitting like this can be a very mechanically sound way of holding the bass guitar.

18. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    It's funny I noticed watching Anthony Jackson videos that he rests his bass on his right leg when he is playing in the lower register and moves it over when he goes into the upper register. Seems like natural adjustment to scale length to me. I think he was playing a 36" scale bass too.

C/S,
    Rev J

gebass6 and Jeff Bonny like this.
  19. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    The NeckUp guitar rest arrived a couple of days ago and works as well as I figured it would. It's easy to adjust, goes on and off fairly easily and stays put on a Fender type solid body. On your right leg (assuming a right handed player) it gives you a higher position more into your chest like you were playing with a shorter strap. On your left leg it gives you a classical guitar position that's stable enough to take your hands off the instrument. The angle of the instrument is adjustable depending on how far forward or back you set the device.

I couldn't tell this from the manufacturer's pics but it does fold down against the body and if your bag or case has the room it can be left on for transport. Overall I'm quite impressed with the simplicity and function. If you're serious about playing sitting down this is well worth checking out.

20. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    I stand when I play.