Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How many of you guys run sound in your band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jive1, Sep 26, 2003.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I told a guitar player friend of mine that the difference between a guitar and bass player is that a bass player cares about how the band sounds, whereas a guitar player cares about how he/she sounds.

Anyway, from this forum it seems there are alot of bassists who do sound or have ideas for running sound. I run sound in my band, and it is a challenge to do while performing. Anyone else double as the sound man, or run sound on gigs where they don't play bass?

2. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    that's a great quote. LOL!

I am my church's A/V director, and even though I rarely get the chance to get up in the booth to run the sound, I train the people that do.

Mark

3. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    This has me written all over it, lol. I usually run it just at practice though. My best friend usually does the live sound.

4. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Our bassist runs sound (often while wearing/playing a bass and a stick at the same time), plays keys, sings backup, and uses footpedals simultaneously.

He makes me want to be a better man.

5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I used to run the sound for my cover band. Now I've got 'em trained so they can do it themselves. The singers set each other's levels and the rest of us follow the drummer's level. The only other thing we have going on is an 8-track recorder with separate mics for everything, it makes mixing down a piece of cake (even though you have to do it after the fact). For the rest of it, the rule is whoever owns it gets to set it up, and the guitar player owns the PA we're currently using so he generally shows up a half hour early.

6. Since our prior drummer (pro sound tech who earns his living doing so) left the band, I've taken the 'first chair' as sound tech, so to speak. Jeff taught me so many things in the 1.5 yrs that I worked with him. :)

Our band is somewhat fortunate in the fact that our PA is adequately powered, modern, and it sounds fabulous with flat EQ. Oh, plus the fact that our guitarist is just as concerned with the mix as I am. :cool:

7. :cool: :cool:

8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Sorta. Normally when we sound check, since I am the only non-singer in the band, I stand back aways, then tell them what needs adjusting.....normally once the board is set, we don't tinker with it much.

I do however now own a heck of a light show I run from the stage......sixteen par 56 cans, strobes, and some other effects lighting via 2 foot controllers.

9. :cool: :cool:

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    that is the best quote i've ever heard!!
    i ran sound for almost every band i was in
    now i'm in one where the guitar player/singer/leader also does sound so it's his show
    of course during sound check i always walk out and adjust stuff or tell him what i think (turn your freakin amp down dude!!!)
    personally, having a soundman out there or someone halfway competetent to adjust levels on the fly without playing with the board is worth everything as well

11. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I have run sound for my bands, sometimes I still do. Usually if we come into a room where a bandleader sees a PA rig he isn't familiar with he asks me to set it up.

I have also worked as a sound man.

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I have run sound for my bands, sometimes I still do. Usually if we come into a room where a bandleader sees a PA rig he isn't familiar with he asks me to set it up.

I have also worked as a sound man.

13. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    We got a sound guy who is also our guitar and bass instructor for the time being. He's a great teacher and also a semi pro recording artist very talented and knowledgable. Our drummer is running the lights via footswithces.

14. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    I play bass, sing lead vocals on a few songs, sing backing vocals on most songs, stomp on my pedal board, stomp on a lighting foot controller, and run sound. Having a wireless means I can get around the venue a little to see how things sound out front and then make any necessary adjustments.