1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How many of you have a website dedicated to your bass playing?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lichtaffen, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I know most of the pros have a website or at least a social media presence, this is obvious. How many of you gigging players find a usefulness in having a website? Most, if not all, of my gigs have been found through word of mouth. Does a website with bio, playing examples, photos, etc. help further your cause? Any success stories?

If you have one, put up a link, I'd love to see it. Yes, I'm trying to get ideas for my own site.

2. Considering I'm not out playing with different bands every other weekend I personally wouldn't see much benefit of making one for myself, but for someone who's trying to establish a fill in situation or something that really does sound like a great idea.

3. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    And if nothing else, I'm thinking it's worth having when people ask what kind of music you play, etc.

4. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Seems Facebook is quite the useful tool along those lines and is free. It's still my favorite price.... ;)

5. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I would have to be a LOT better player than I am to justify something like that.

6. hsech

hsech Work hard. My Social Security needs a raise.

Jun 27, 2012
    Central Iowa
  7. BassMom88

BassMom88

Oct 17, 2011
    I run my daughter's and it has definitely been worth it. I personally like when someone has a main page with links to their social media sites and vice versa when I find someone on social media and can link back to a main page to learn more.
    There's a lot of free host sites, but we opted to buy the domain and also the pro-version of the web-building tools/features. It's very reasonable cost-wise and very easy to add/change multi-media content.
    She's not yet gigging out yet per se, but has had a lot of great experiences and it serves as a timeline and something to add to auditions/applications. Down the road, more pages can be added as needed.
    As far as success stories, it's been great for people to get in touch. The Boston Herald contacted her through the site after seeing her on The American Country Awards with Keith Urban. She went there for an interview and filmed some video in their studio -great experience!! She's had offers to join bands and projects (nothing she could logistically do yet, but it's nice to be asked) - and through her dad's website, our state's news channel's version of "Chronicle" got in touch and is in the process of doing a story on her being a 3rd generation musician. They had seen another article about her and her dad & grandfather in a local magazine. She's been very lucky. It's really fun too to see all the different stats for the site - the different search terms and countries of referral sites. She gets about 50-100 hits on the site/day from all over the world.
    Maybe start with a free version and you can always upgrade. It's been a lot of fun...one of my better ideas :) You can take a look at...
    http://www.aubreyharrismusic.com

8. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    I have a Reverbnation.Com page I use to promote myself when looking for bands. And host the pages in my signature below to share fx clips, reviews, and patches.

9. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    I do but I haven't made it public yet. I also have an artist FB page but it's just a place holder/staked-flag for a band name. Once I have a few tunes recorded I'll promote it but not until then.

I just created them to share my own stuff rather than to further a career in music.

10. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    BassMom88,
    Thanks for the info. This is what I was thinking. Basically, it can't hurt to have a site like that. And good for your daughter! The site looks great and her playing on Cause We've Ended As Lovers is awesome.

11. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    No, you don't. I hope you're kidding. ;)

Tell me about it. It seems the best way to get fill in work is "who you know". I think the website would help solidify their confidence in you.

Reverbnation just doesn't do it for me. Soundcloud might be a better interface.

Personally, my career in music consists of getting more and more gigs. It'll never be my 'career' per se. It's just nice to present yourself professionally.

I quite FB almost a year ago and it was one of the best decisions I ever made. I fear that I may need an FB page again. I just hate the time-sucking aspect of FB, not to mention the dramas that go on.