Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How many of you have sore backs from your cabinets?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Gets sore from hauling cabs around.

23 vote(s)
    25.3%
  2. Is injured from hauling cabs around.

2 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. Is injured from something else but the cabs aggravate it.

23 vote(s)
    25.3%
  4. Is fine and I haul my cabs around all the time!

34 vote(s)
    37.4%
  5. Is great for hauling big orange sacks of delicious carrots!

9 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Seems like a lot of talk in here about chiropractors and thrown backs etc.

Let your voice be heard!

2. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    Sore backs??? That's what drummers are for :D

3. I'm lucky in that I've got a very strong back. Many of the guys I've worked with over the years are hurting these days. Bass cabs have never been source of much effort for me. The real killer was a Hammond B3 the guy in the last band insisted on carrying around. He was also the leader and head NAZZY. That D@MN thing was the biggest reason I quit that band.

4. TheCreature

TheCreature

May 22, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I got *damn* tired of giving all my gig $$ to the chiropractor to fix my 50 year old lower back. I sold all my cabs and got (2) Epifani UL210s. What a relief.

5. In my younger days, I carted around a full sized Hammond C3, which is the B3, but with the full solid-side legs. I think 610 pounds was the magic number. Add in a full size Leslie... yuck. But, age 21, young and dumb and full of... youth.

I got spoiled playing a loaner Peavey TKO115 for small bars, but that rig has since been recalled by its owner. I've got a 2.5 cubic foot cabinet built for a JBL 18", but the 18 is damaged and I haven't yet got it repaired.

After 3 straight years of playing, I'm between bands now, and hauling around nothing. Except PA gear to support my daughter's band, and that is pain of a differenty type.

6. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    One of the nice things about not having a band/gigs is that I dont have to haul around my Goliath III. I've been lucky as far as my back goes (so far), but I have a feeling one of the times I'm carrying it around, I'm going to get hurt.

7. My practice now is to use wheels as much as possible. I used to carry my 2x10 (70 lbs) cabinet all the time, but have recently been experiencing back troubles. I find a larger cabinet is easier to deal with sometimes because it is tall enough to tip into the back of a car easily. The best cabinet for this was a SWR henry the 8x8 that I used to own. It was tall enough to tip into the back of my car and slide in. I do a similar thing with my 4x10: from the dolly cart I tumble the cabinet up into the back of my car and similarly tumble it out onto the cart and roll into the venue. For those venues with stairs and no elevator, that is where the help of bandmates comes in handy.

8. My back is fine. But then again, the heaviest single piece of gear I use only weighs about 42 lbs.

9. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings,
    To all of you young people haulin SVT's and fridge size cabs.....be kind to your backs now or they will keep you from being happy when doing the wild thang later on. Don't be too proud to ask for help and if your band mates refuse, find another band. Also remember, knees bend easier than your back.
    Happy Times,
    Rezdog

10. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Learning good lifting technique is important! If you can't get help, be sure to lift from the knees and keep your abs tight to keep your spine protected. Never try to carry a heavy (or awkward) cabinet up the stairs alone.

I once played in a band with a Hammond C3. Once a month we would play a gig on the 2nd floor of an old building with no elevator. It was 25 stairs to the 2nd floor! We used a refrigerator dolly and three guys to haul that thing up the stairs (along with way too much PA gear). Loading gear was a real pain, but it was one of the best gigs in town.

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I dated a girl for 4 years who owned and operated a decent size PA system. Being the kind of guy that I am, I often ended up lugging it around with her. I am so darn sick of lugging nowdays, that I go out of my way to avoid it. Lightweight cabs are a God-send.

My back was never a problem except when I was silly enough to lift and twist in one motion. That's a sure-fire way to strain a muscle in your side, and it's very easy to do when you're rushing. It was more the wrists and hands that seemed to be in the wars, not a good thing if you have to play bass during the night. Neither is the general fatigue and lack of energy, all of which takes some of the enjoyment away. If you don't enjoy yourself, why are you there - god knows it's not for the money............

I have now set myself a 40Kg limit. so basically if I can't comfortably pick it up myself, I don't buy it - simple. Band mates will help if I ask, but it's not that simple here in Oz. The chances of them arriving at the gig at the same time as you are NIL, and there's no-where to park your car and wait. You're often illegally parked while you quickly unload your car, meaning you're better off just doing it your self as quickly as you can before the boys in blue give you a ticket. I've decided against buying some great gear based on weight, and I'm positive I made the right decision each time.

12. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    No way! The organ without the pedals and bench is about 350 lbs but I know the pain. It sure seems like 600 lbs!

Anyhow just a general comment about this thread... lift with your legs people!!!! :D

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    as an avid Epifani UL (3x10 = 47 lbs.), Acme (1x10 = 31 lbs. each), EA iAMP800 (19 lbs.), and Stewart (15 lbs.), my back's in great shape.

:hyper:

14. and it's 350 of the most ackward gut busting lbs I've ever lifted :spit:

15. Amen to that. Everybody hike, and take those mini-dwarflike suffle steps.

I now have a Hammand XK2 that is a one hand carry, in its ATA case. The built in Leslie simulator is close enough to sound great in a live situation.

16. Get Flite cabs and never have that problem again!
    30lbs per cab, they push wind like a hurricane.
    I've never been happier since switching from refrigerator cabinets to the F'ing Lite cabinets.
    :)
    Dirk

17. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Argh, my poor schamgekie.

I was on a trip with some fellow students when I was in high school. We got to the hotel, and I clamed a bed by jumping and landing on it. Someone else wanted the same spot, and and jumped on top of me. They landed on their elbow in the small of my back. There was a pop, and lots of pain. I have never been the same since. I am 19 now, and my back is fine most of the time, but hauling cabs can aggrivate it.

18. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Ding ding ding ding ding! Couldn't have said it better. I've been lugging two 4x10 cabs around three times a week lately - guess that makes six transports a week for this out of shape 36 year old, and the only time the back protests is when I try to lift and twist. Fortunately I almost never have to deal with stairs - that would suck. I have a simple but particular way I load the cabs in my truck that keeps the weight symmetrical in and out, and although people are always very eager to help me load, it's actually better to do it myself because I can control the way I'm lifting.

19. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    Don't know if it is from hauling cabs around,but I got serious pain in my back when I moved the car who blocked our transport vehicle after saturday gig :mad:

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA