1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How many of you mix match cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by joeturbodiesel@, Nov 29, 2010.

1. How many of you that stack cabs are mix matching to get the sound you want reguardless of how it looks? Just curious.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i never mix cabs. tried it a few times and was never really happy with it and would always disconnect one or the other. found out on here it's because mixing cabs can lead to problems with some notes phasing themselves out. so my advice would be to find a cab you like the sound of by itself, then buy a second identical cab to stack.

3. Alper Yilmaz

Alper Yilmaz Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2005
    Istanbul, Turkey
    I used to use a Bergantino HT112 with a Bag End S15-D; never realized/heard any problem... It is most probably a hit and miss...

4. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Mismatched speaker configurations, or manufacturers?

I have used a 115+210 stack a bunch of times. Currently, they both happen to be Aguilar DB-series wrapped in tweed tolex.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    mixed rigs can sound great. but as alper says, it's hit and miss. if the cabs have similar phase relationships, you won't get nearly as much phasing, and possibly none at all. the problem is its unpredictability. swap out a cab that has a different phase relationship and next thing you know, some notes come out quiet and some come out way louder.

6. AwkwardLoudness

AwkwardLoudness

Jan 11, 2010
    MI USA
    I've mixed an Ampeg PR410HLF with an Ampeg PR410H but I doubt that really counts. :cool:

I agree with the above responses. The sound waves from non-matching bass speakers can interfere with one another at certain locations in front of the cab(s). The severity of this issues varies greatly depending on the setup.

7. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I've done it before - I used to run a Bag End 12" with my Epi 2x10 - - usually as a personal monitor... And I'd do it again if I needed to. They key thing is to try the combination out *before* you gig with it...

8. I mix an Eden Metro, a D210XLT combo, with a GB UB 212. Sounds good to me, but as mentioned above, I probably just lucked out with that combination.

9. PeterT55

PeterT55

Jan 25, 2009
    Lakes Region, NH
    I've mixed cabs often and so far have been very happy. For the past few years I've used an Ampeg Classic 4x10 and a Hartke 4x10 and it is very articulate AND loud.....although I now also have 2 - GK Neo 2/12 cabs powered by a GK2001RB and of course I'm loving that.....