1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How many of you "multi-task"?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by r6mile, Apr 3, 2006.

1. The lead singer in my band has left it, so I guess I am going to be replacing him (while playing the bass). So I was wondering, how many of you actually play and sing at the same time? Is it hard? How do you feel about it? Etc...

2. NegatroN

NegatroN

Mar 22, 2006
    Germany
    I did it in my old band and later did some background vocals. But the I decided to concentrate on one thing and that is playing bass. There may be people who can concentrate on both or are so good that they don't have to concentrate at all but unfortunately I'm not one of them. So I stick to my bass and leave the micro to our singer.

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I play, sing lead and backup, and I'm the bandleader. It's tough, that's all I can say.

4. I saw the title and thought I would reply immediately - but I had to stop and do something else first.

5. I do some backing vocals in my band - I admit, I DO concentrate more on my voice being in tune than I do my playing...but its fun and can add that extra thing which turns an "ok" band into a "good" (or "better") band - coz it makes you look more like you know what your doing...

Once tried singing whilst doing lead guitar (not good...how the hell people manage it is beyond me...):confused: :rolleyes:

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    While not the primary singer in my bands, I do sing. While it's hard at first you'll soon get used to it. The key is to start with songs that have easy bass lines and easy vocal parts. Leave the Rush tunes till later :cool:

7. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    After 20 years of playing, I started singing a few years back, first backup and now the occasional lead....

PRACTICE!!!!!!!!!!and realize there are just a few tunes that are very difficult to play bass and sing at the same time (Jack Bruce still screws up Politician to this day)

It gave me a huge newer respect for Geddy Lee!

8. I don't sing and play, mostly because they wont let me. :crying:

To make up for it I will usually smoke meat or do origami when playing. Of course that's when I'm not tending the bar. That would be a little too much.

9. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I can't get used to doing both. I can sometimes pull it off though...

For me, it seems easier doing it playing some basic powerchords and doing the rhythms and singing with that than it is for bass and singing.

10. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks! In Memoriam

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Once you get used to it, it's fun. I find that gigs I don't sing on seem boring to me. In my old band I sang lead all the time, and now I just sing harmony but it keeps me on my toes. I can't wander far from my mic stand without my vocal parts in the tune coming up.

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:

11. I love the challenge of trying to do both, and I think it does add variety if they don't know who's gonna sing next!

I sing lead on 5 or 6 songs at a gig, but I'm not sure I'd like the responsibility for the whole night though.

The one thing I'm not too great at multi tasking on is the movin' and groovin' while I'm playing. If I move about too much I lose it! .. and yet I love dancing! :meh: