Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How many of you own Danelectro basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by natrab, Jan 26, 2004.

1. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm currently shopping around for a Dano Hodad or DC bass. I love the lipstick pickup sounds for picking and I need a light bass to jump around with (I'm playing fast punk type picking music). Ain't gonna happen with my fender :p

I was just wondering what everyone thought of Dano basses. They are a monument of cheapness, though I've always liked them.

Post pix!

2. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Well I just bought a NOS Dano Hodad bass. I'll post a review once I get it set up and play it a bit.

I agree, the longhorn looks like ass.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I have an OLD one...early 60s Dano Silvertone bass.

I've owned it for 25 years, the lipstick pickup really cuts and you won't find a lighter bass out there.

4. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I've got the longhorn, it suprises me everything I plug in how well it cuts through the mix, great cheap bass!

5. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I find it's great for punk rock/heavy distortion guitar music. I played my friend's Dano at a band practice last week and it blew me away. I had to turn the volume down on my amp which was barely audible when playing with my Fender J.

It's also hard when you're trying to compete with two 100 watt dual rectifier guitarists. The Dano does it though. I can't wait to get my own.

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I have two Longhorns (one is the Pro model) and a DC. I like them very much...for what they are.

7. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I just did some recording with my Dano DC, and I was totaly surpised at how well it sounded! I'm usinf flatwound strings, and is has a very cool old school raw sound to it:D

8. I have a Dano Longhorn and I really like the sound, it surprises me evertime I plug it in!:oops:

Feels good on my shoulder after 3 hours of playing too.

[​IMG]
    Treena

9. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Ditto on the longhorn... I've had one since early December, after jonesing for quite some time. Great sounding, suprisingly loud. I do find that it doesn't get taken very seriously until about a set into the night, then folks start commenting on its' vibe...

I've also wanted a Hodad for some time... when the right opportunity presents itself, I'm jumping!!

-robert

10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I want a danelectro bass, but nobody seems to be carrying them anymore. :bawl: Where can you get them? :confused:

11. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I got mine from Danoguitars.com. It's run by a really nice guy and there's a nice lookin DC bass for $345 on there.

12. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Damnit, they spelled Entwistle's name wrong!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'd like a Longhorn. I love the way they look.

14. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    i'd like an Hodad too ! have you tried it natrab?

15. Ditto that. :bassist:

16. Fran Diaz

Fran Diaz

Mar 28, 2002
    Santander, Spain
    Bassist
    I've got a LongHorn Pro. It sounds great (especially for the price), very different to my Lakland an MM...and it gives a break on you shoulder also.

keep groooovin'
    Fran

17. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Mine's in the mail. I'll post about it when it arrives.

18. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I love them all and don't plan on ever being without one of each. The Hodad is great, very versatile w/ the 3 p'up config. The DC is nice, w/ a thick long-scale tone. The Longhorn is funky and has that short-scale sound. How can you not love them? Just be sure to superglue your strap buttons in, esp if you're 'energetic' on stage; those suckers will pop right out otherwise.

19. I have the rumor bass, I do not like it, but that could be because I am spoiled with my MIA Fender Jazz, as a primary

20. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I don't get the rumor bass. The trademark thing about Danelectros was the lipstick pickups. I don't know why I'd want a dano with a fender(ish) body and a P split pickup. Makes no sense.