Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How many of you play 6 or more strings?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Pacman, Mar 29, 2001.

1. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Because of recent conversations, I see there are more 6+ string players on this board than I thought. I also see that most of you don't fill out your profiles. So come on, those of you who play extended range basses, who are you, and what are you playing on?

(And let's keep this on topic, I'm sick of "6 strings suck" threads)

2. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Well atleast, I'm not one of them hehe.

/lovebown

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
  4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Jon -

You HAD to know that was coming! ;) He just can't leave it alone...

For the record, my two main basses are a pair of Guitar Factory 6's, fretted and fretless. The Guitar Factory is a small two man operation in Orlando, FL that actually started when Mike Tobias moved to California from there. The two guys, Bill Fels and Doug Montgomery, were Mike T's original crew. Wonderful basses, if somewhat rare and unknown outside the central FL area.

I've also got a '79 MM Stingray that I'm slowly but surely bringing back to playing status (just the electronics & pickup left to go!), and eventually I'll add a NS Design CR5M to the mix (if the Czechs ever finish it and send it over!!! ARGH!!!). Honestly, I'd say the 'Ray will never see the lights of the stage, I can't function without a B string ;), but it's nice to have for recording and for goofing off around the house. Long-term plans include a Zon fretless 5 for touring/road purposes, as the GF stuff is irreplaceable in essence (each one is custom made), and even a reasonable facsimilie replacement from them would be an approximate 6 month wait.

5. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    You can count me in. I've been playing for only a year, with 3 months on the six string. I'm glad I sqitched to 6 so early because I really feel comfortable with it. My next bass purchase will probably be some kind of fretless 6, but that won't be anytime soon.

6. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska