how many of you play guitar and bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by downward spiral, Aug 6, 2001.

1. downward spiral

downward spiral

Jul 20, 2001
    and if so, which did you start first? I play bass and piano (I've been playing piano for waaay longer than bass).

I like the bass but because of my personality everyone says I should play the guitar cause I'm always talking most and kind of in the spotlight among people so I don't know what to do.
    I have a guitar personality (or a lead singer one but i suck at singing) and I like the bass... dilemma.
  2. ARA punk

ARA punk

Jul 11, 2001
    USA, Shelby, NC
    I kinda started playing guitar before bass. I havent played the guitar since i started playing bass about 2 and a half months ago and i just picked up my guitar two days ago and it felt so wierd pressing down those tiny strings and messing up with the spacing. But it was fairly easy. I am still convinced bass is harder that guitar
  3. Well...I am primarily a guitar player. I'm currently learning *BASS*....not guitar on bass.

I also took a semester of piano a couple of years ago. I feel it's important to see the viewpoint of more that one instrument especially when trying to compose of my desires for the future.

Music is like food...too much of one thing is boring. Sometimes I like to wail on guitar and other times I really appreciate a good rhythm section that *GROOVES*.

Without a great foundation, music is nowhere.
    And as much as I love guitar, playing bass is really satisfying and FUN. (It also helps with being a better improvisor on guitar by recognizing and being more aware of chord tones)

I will have to admit, I have met a lot of dumba** guitarists who play louder than hell (I never was loud) and were arrogant. I was always a team player until my *spotlight*time came up. Then back to the corner while the primadonna vocalist did their thing.
  4. The only time I'll ever pick up a guitar is when I've got a good song idea. I'll just go downstairs and play whatever progression I've got in my head. I'll record it to the minidisc, then I'll lay down a bass part under it. I do not enjoy guitar playing a lot, but I like the fact that I can use it when I'm having trouble expressing a song I have, that I cannot get out by playing bass alone. Then I'll let the rest of the guys listen, and we'll (hopefully, if "Someone" doesn't grow an attitude because the bassist came up with a good line) form a song from it. And I don't care if they don't wanna use my guitar part. But I just want the idea to come across. Hopefully
  5. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    I know enough to play on my demos...which are mostly bass driven. Same with drums. I can play enough to do what I need to do with both guit and drums, but not enough to fill in for a gig or something.
  6. I do, I've been playing guitar about 3.5 years and bass 2.5 years. I suck at both. :)
  7. downward spiral

downward spiral

Jul 20, 2001
    I've been playing piano for 6 and bass for .5 and I suck at both too.

I somehow manage to be a very unmusical person interested in music.
  8. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I've been playing both for the same amount of time. I switch back and forth between them constantly.
  9. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Me too.I got my 1st bass (a 4 string Hagstrom) about 8 months after my 1st guitar (a Silvertone.) I have played guitar more often in bands however.These days I'm much more into bass.I'm just feeling more drawn to it,especially since I've been fortunate to have found some really good gear at silly prices (NOS Eden WT300 $299,Bag End S15-D $199.) Plus,there are so many bassists doing things I find very interesting these days,whereas I can't escape the "been there done that" feeling with guitar.It goes in cycles,I'll probably pick up a guitar in a few months and get all excited again,who knows.
  10. I got a Tele last March or so, its so much fun to play, now I can switch open chords fast enough to use it for a demo.
  11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I played guitar for about 15 years before I started really getting into the bass. I should have been playing bass all my life. I was always air-bassing, really getting into the basslines of songs, just totally loving the bass. Don't really know why I stuck with the guitar as long as I did. I rarely picked it up lest we were rehearsing or there was a gig. I had one guitar (telecaster) never gave a damn about it.

Ahhhhhh.... that felt good.
  12. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I started on guitar, played for about 2 yrs and switched to bass which I've been playing for about 15 yrs now. I picked a bass up one day and said, "This is it!" I still keep a guitar around, a Peavey Strat copy, which I strum chords on. I can strum well but can't pick for soloing.
  13. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I started guitar when I was 16 and gave up. I started bass and guitar when I was 19 and stuck with acoustic guitar. I picked up electric guitar again a couple of years ago. I have two basses and two guitars.
  14. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I started out on URB in 7th grade (didn't get too far), moved on to playing electric bass in high school (once again, didn't get too far).

Picked up EB again about two years ago, and guitar about six moths later. After much flailing about, have settled into bass for accompaniment, and fingerstyle acoustic guitar for solitary personal enjoyment. I also have a Tele for slide.

One thing - I've always been a fingerstyle bass player, and I just can't get the hang of strumming a guitar with a pick! That's why I've gravitated to fingerstyle acoustic...
  15. i play both, and i really love them both. i'm not as intuitive on guitar as the guitarists in my band, pitch-wise, but rhythmically, i can do syncopated strumming and stuff that it takes quite a while for them to learn. it's odd, i completely suck at playing bass with a pick, but i'm great at strumming/picking a guitar in perfect time, even while singing at the same time. weird.
  16. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Both, but I play bass a lot more. I like guitar for making some noise from time to time or when learning something new on guitar is just irresistible.

I started playing bass first. I crossed over to guitar when I realized it was a constructive creative outlet whether I am writing or messing around. I haven't picked my guitar up for months though. :(

I'm not a serious guitarist really. I have an Ibanez RG570 (Iron Pewter, awesome color and hardware) and a Flextone II combo with floorboard.
  17. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I played guitar for about 12 years before I went to bass... i still love to play guitar, but I have become a much better bassist than I ever was a guitarist, and the bass feels right to me... the guitar always felt like I was fighting it some what, and bass feels very natural... I have kept 4 of my electrics and my acoustic, plus a 212 carvin combo and I have a brand new guitar pod, so I still noodle with 'em, but mostly just to get song ideas going.... They are all packed up right now except for one electric...
  18. ASR

Apr 2, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    well, I started playing guitar about 11 years ago. I only picked up bass about 1.5 years ago and I suck at it. Jazzbo can vouch for that! I love playing guitar as much as I love playing bass. I don't have as much confidence on bass, though. Right now, I'm playing bass in an alternative band that is just getting together, but I play guitar in a christian band. Go figure.
  19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I tried to play guitar when I was 9, but wasn't coordinated enough.

Started drums at 12, and then bass at 13.

Stuck with bass, and have gotten pretty decent at it after 20+ years.

I can play guitar OK, drums OK, and keyboards OK.
  20. Punk_311

Punk_311 Guest

Aug 4, 2001
    Electric Ladyland
    I mainly play guitar but mess with my brothers basses from time to time.