1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How Many Of You Play in Working Bands?

Discussion in 'Bass Central' started by Michael777, Dec 19, 2014.

1. ProBass205

ProBass205

Feb 19, 2016
    Beaumont, Tx
    Greetings ; I play 12-15 shows a month with a Blues trio through out my Louisiana and SE Texas and two Sunday's a month at church.
    My go to bass is a Fender Custim shop 58' P Bass, a Fender American Deluxe J Bass Birch body with a maple neck and a Modulus Q4. Depending on stage size I have three rigs. When using custom ear molds , my rack is a Demeter 201s pre-amp with a DBX 160a a Crown Xti 1000 and Westone triple driver IEM processed through a DBX IEM processed.
    Or a Mesa Stratagy Eight 88
    With. Mesa powerhouse 1200'cab and last but not least a Markbass cmd102p on top of s ....MB 15"
    And a Keely compressor pro.

Attached Files:

pachoate likes this.
  2. broke up due to lead singer syndrome, till then, Rock and Roll, 4 to 6 times a month. 1 cd

3. Kragnorak

Kragnorak

Sep 20, 2008
    Let's see, from Memorial Day weekend through the last weekend of June I'm gigging every weekend except the one I carved out as a vacation - 7 gigs total:

• 5 of those are my hard rock/classic rock/metal cover band.
    • 1 gig is my jazz trio, probably with female singer added in
    • 1 gig is me accompanying a solo artist who is doing a mix of songs from his various original bands plus covers.
    • 0 gigs are my main original band as extreme metal doesn't make much money anyway locally and we need to finish some recordings.

4. I play in a Praise & Worship group at church, usually twice a month. I also play as a temporary fill in for small groups when their regular bass player is not available. I used to play at church every week and frequently for more than one service, but in the last few years I also play mandolin and guitar in a bluegrass band, so there's only so much time available.

I have several basses, and I alternate depending on how I feel on any given day. In the past I was using my Peavey T40 until the weight became too uncomfortable. Since then I have used my Gibson Ripper, Epiphone Viola, and most recently my Epiphone EBO. I really like a heavy thump sound with just a little edge on it. I recently acquired a Hohner B2A that just blows me away. Haven't used it to play out yet because I really am enjoying the Epiphone EBO with a Line 6 cube amp right now.

As for amps; I have several of those also. Different sizes for different jobs; some are combo units and others are separate heads with cabinets. Lately I am really trying to go with lighter equipment, but it's hard to beat the sound of some of my vintage (insert "heavy") gear.

5. Michael777

Michael777

Feb 22, 2006
    General Manager: Bass Central
    Yeah Man, I feel the Same about Mass! My Back Doesn't, but I do.

6. I play in three groups. One is at church where I play bass usually twice a month. Music is a cross between folk and praise & worship. I have several bases and play whichever one speaks to me at the moment. Currently it's an Epiphone EBO; lots of heavy thump with just a little edge.

My other groups are; a Bluegrass band called Second Wind Olde Time Bluegrass, and an Americana band called Mudhouse Road. I play mandolin in both of those bands and our jobs tend to be seasonal since we mostly play festivals and private parties. For two years in a row we have played two gigs in the same day; 2015 we played two festivals about 50 miles apart on a really hot day. 2016 we played the same early festival followed by a late afternoon private party. I play a Loar F style mandolin in these bands. The Mudhouse Road band lost one of its members and has been sort of wallowing around since then, working a few jobs and putting out feelers for a replacement member.

One_Dude

7. Just noticed that I posted to this thread earlier also. Sorry about that.

One_Dude

8. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Not 'working' as in making a living at it, but normally we try to gig these originals once a month ... modern 80s /indi /post punk /etc etc

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021