How many of you play Midi Bass guitar?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Al Caldwell, Oct 3, 2004.

1. Al Caldwell

Al Caldwell

Mar 18, 2003
    St.Louis , Mo
    I've been playing midi bass for a few years and I wonder how many Talk Bass members are doing the same thing. I have an extensive midi set-up.
    I'm curious about all of the custom luthiers who are make midi basses. Benavente is working on a midi 11 string.I don't know if Jean's 11 will be midi, but the possilbilties are endless.
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    That's nothing compared to my K-Mart Keyboard setup I have. It's amazing what 20$ can do... Though it is 13 years old, and doesn't work anymore.. It still rules! :bassist:
  3. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    jerzy drozd is making a hollow body model that has 1 p-up and a midi sistem, the obsession legend but the bigges model comes in 7 strings, those basses have a killer look.

EDIT: btw your face looks familiar, are you the bass player thats on the conkling site with the GT series basses???
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i do :). but you knew that already. :hyper: nice setup al.
  5. Midi bass is something I've always been curious about but never had the oppurtunity to try, I can imagine the possibilities are endless, from what I know, there are also a lot of variations in performance from the various bits of midi kit available, I'd like to know more though!

Does anyone have any links to websites that look at audio / midi conversion?

6. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    hey al - both the new 11 and 9 have MIDI. Fun!
  7. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    No that is bill dickens. this is Al Caldwell. he used to have two hollowbody conklin 9's then he sold one and signed with benavente. and Al plays with Vanessa williams i believe...
  8. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

lol my bad
    thx for the input
  9. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    I played a Peavey MidiBass for a while but I didn't like it too much, it just didn't track well enough to be useful to me. I would like to try something a bit more high end someday, when funds allow it.
  10. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    This all sounds very interesting. I have a bass with a piezo equipped bridge (which I can't stand the sound of sorry to say) and was looking for something to do with it. How does one get started with midi? I guess I would have to buffer all 6 piezo pickups and then convert the signals somehow? JT? Al? A little help? Hints? Please don't say "duh, use the search button..." That would be very mean. I haven't found much specific info regarding this.
  11. I've been trying to get my Piccolo Bass hooked up with midi. I need to do some electronics modification (already has RMC pickups) and route a hole for a DIN 8 out and go to the off board polydrive unit. But you have some nice banjo's Al.
  12. Al Caldwell

Al Caldwell

Mar 18, 2003
    St.Louis , Mo
    I would call Brian Barret at The Low End and see if they will convert it to midi. Depending on your bass shape ,they may be able to convert it to midi. The piezo to midi RMC package works great.
  13. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Thanks Al. Too bad I live in Australia. RMC you say...
  14. jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    I think I may get MIDI on my next bass. For those of you with it, what kind of tracking issues do you have? And how do you deal with them? B Easy

15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Whoa, Al. You should get your Conklin checked out, I think there's something wrong with the neck!

Very nice setup. I don't have the financial capacity to experiment with MIDI at the moment, or in the near-to-distant future, but I'd love to try it out.
  16. Hella_Groovy

Aug 31, 2004
    Richmond Va
    I think it as something to do with the 'fisheye' lens, not the neck.
  17. Whats midi :S??? lol! Sorry lol!
  18. MIDI? I spent a fair amount of time scoring and writing soundtracks etc. using a first gen. Peavey. Actually, the tracking was a bit slow, but it was suitable for getting the ideas down. Man, the technology has come a long way since then. Anyhow, here's my setup:

19. Al Caldwell

Al Caldwell

Mar 18, 2003
    St.Louis , Mo
    I love the roland gear. Tracking has been great. I use the vg 88 for lead guitar sounds. It tracks so fast. The hardest part of midi for me is the initial set-up. I have a very light touch , so setting the velocity just right
    is key. Depending on the patch you may have to change your velocity setting. Roland makes a new midi converter for bass. It's on the web site.
    It can be set for 6 string basses. I think it's about $350.00 dollars. I might put it on one of my home made basses. It's nice to hear that Jean will also have a midi 11 string. The state of midi makes the bass truly a lead instrument. I'm relocating to New York to play on the Vanessa Williams Talk show on NBC. I'll be on television 5 times a week. You'll hear midi bass everyday! I wonder if i'll get paid for every midi patch? Ha! Ha!
  20. Al Caldwell

Al Caldwell

Mar 18, 2003
    St.Louis , Mo
    Nice Rig!!!!!!!!