Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

how many of you play upright as well as electric?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Feb 24, 2005.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Recently I got an upright, a cheap Chinese version. Mainly it was intended to develop "finger strength", and it's doing a great job in that regard.

How many of you play upright, as well as electric?

2. Not me, but I would like to.

3. I do. Although in the last two years my gigs have been 95% upright. I've played slab for about 26 years, and upright for about 15.

4. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    I play upright, but not as well as I play the bass guitar.

My intonation is fine but I just can't get past the huge spacing and the feel of the instrument. I guess I'm "proficient" on it but not great. So I don't play it much except in my folk duo (which doesn't play very often) and for the occasional recording.

One of my future purchases might be a five-string EUB, which might encourage me to play more often.

5. I got an upright about 3 years ago and used to play it a lot. I've pretty much stopped, though. Physical issues plus I just don't have the time to invest.

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Probably 90% of my gigs in the last year have been on EUB, everybody around here seems to want it over fretless BG. I'm still a good bit more proficient on BG, but ya gotta run with what people want, no?

7. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I would -really- like to get into upright, but unfortunately it's way too expensive right now.

8. I play DB, but certainly not 'as well' as BG- my intonation is off, my bass needs work & my bow should be forcibly removed from my hand. Bah-dum- Psshhht. But I do play both. Thanks- good crowd.

9. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Mine cost about 500 bucks. Got in on eBay. And the seller, is right around the corner in Pasadena. I might have lucked out, he's a great guy. He did the setup for me too, all inclusive, with a carrying bag, a bow, and a little chunk of rosin. Not that it's the greatest bass in the world (like I said, "cheap"), but it works fine. No snags, the fingerboard is nice and straight, and it especially sounds good at really low volumes, with a pickup on it (actually I use a mic, an old Swedish Pearl PML-EC-73, all you have to do is clip it onto the bridge). So far I'm pretty enamored with this arrangement. Although, I'm already starting to figure out what's good and bad about it (it's been about four months or so now, and the last month I haven't been playing it all that much 'cause I've been pretty sick). It's basically a "student bass", is all. But it's a full-on upright (3/4 size), with nice solid construction (laminated), and a decent tone. I can't get much volume out of it, without a mic, so I use a mic to "reinforce" the sound. Not bad for 500 bucks though. :)

10. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Good to hear. The folks over at our DB forum aren't too fond of the ebay chinese basses, but I guess you get a good one occasionally. What was the name of your seller?

11. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I think he's called "stringking" on eBay. I can't find the transaction anymore, it's probably been too long. If you e-mail me, I can probably send you his phone number though. :)

12. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Well, if you want to get into DB, and you are only playing pizz., chinese basses should do the trick. I play on an old 50's German flatback, and the action is HORRIBLE for jazz, but classical is a breeze. If you guys really want to work on your left hand strength, forget Jaco... classical music KILLS!

13. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I'm a doubler. I picked up "the doghouse" in jazz ensemble, from there I have built to EUB's. I don't foresee myself ever playing it more than electric, but I'm warming up to it.

14. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I studied double bass with a Polish master. I learned German bow and did the typical classical double bass stuff: Dragonetti, Koussevitzky (not the concerto but the miniatures: Valse miniature, chanson triste...). I also have an electric upright which I use with my tropical music band. In general terms, my intonation and endurance with the instrument are OK, but the bowing is suffering because I'm not playing with the bow so much nowadays. Right now I'm rehearsing for playing the Suite For Flute And Jazz Piano Trio by Claude Bolling. We're going to play that in two weeks at a very important auditorium in my town. BTW, I've just seen the "Brian Setzer Orchestra Live In Japan" video and the double bass player (Mark Winchester) is a killer! I've never seen that double bass slapping before. No idea that rockabilly has to be played like that. I want to learn that technique. Pretty cool! :cool: :hyper: :bassist:

15. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I'm considering switching vrom Viola to the DB - cept I forgot how to read bass clef after all my piano years and I'd have to relearn a whole new instrument pretty much.

16. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    I just started, and I love it. There's nothing like it. I'm still looking for a teacher in the NJ/NY area if anyone is interested.

17. stingray5bbx

stingray5bbx

Feb 11, 2005
    I play upright 98% of the time in the Purdue Jazz Band. Its awesome.

18. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Been playing DB for 7 years now, BG for 13.

19. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I double also. I picked up upright about 3.5 years ago, and I've already done one CD with it. (Check the DB side recordings forum) GET A TEACHER!!!! If you picked up upright to develop finge strength (were your fingers not strong enough before?), you absolutely need a teacher. It will save you time, heartache and quite possibly injury!

Did I mention you should get a teacher?

20. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i played upright for school musicals twice. i got to the point where i was adequate. at least adequate enough for the audience not to notice! :D

i've been havin' a hankerin' to play it again.