How many of you prefer to buy amps used?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by natrab, Jun 19, 2004.

1. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I for one, prefer a used amp. When I bought my Basis 2000, it had been gigged heavily for about 5 years (amazing that it had no scratches on the main face). My reasoning for this is that I knew it worked great and would serve me well. While I think 5 years is a little much, how many of you prefer to buy your amps "pre-driven"?

Any particular good or bad experiences doing this?
  2. I've bought used amps, pre amps, pedals far I've been lucky and everythings worked out ok.
  3. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I think the only amp I bought new was my PLX 3402.

I took my dad to get a bass amp and we came home with a brand new Ampeg SVT-3, which broke within two days. Two SVT-3s later we decided to go used. Got him an SVP-Pro and a Stewart World 1.2 off the Bay and it's worked great ever since; plus it's a whole lot more power than the SVT-3.
  4. only buy new if you can't get any good deals used, i love buying used cause i dont mind my stuff looking bad or having a few scratches anyway. i bought my yba200 new though because i had bad gas for tube tone.
  5. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    I've bought three amps on Ebay, and all have performed well. So far, anyway. The eldest is a 1994 Eden WT800, purchased in 2001. The other two are a Carvin DCM 1000 and a QSC PLX 1602, which were about two years old when I got them.

I'm careful to bid only if they're "Mint or Excellent", and I always question the seller about any dings or scratches, however minor, to give me a better idea if the amp has been well treated. Bent rack ears are a red flag... How far did it fall? Deep scratches raise a concern that somebody wasn't very careful. Missing knobs (how can you lose a knob?)... I'll pass.
  6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I generally buy my amps used, because the ones I want aren't really in production anymore. I've snagged a Strategy 400 and 500 this way, as well as a couple of cabs. No problem buying Boogie gear used - there's not a whole lot that can go wrong with tube amps, and it's tough to mess them up.
  7. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    My Eden 800 was 1200 Canadian 2 years ago. It's a 97.
    My Eden 600 was 1100 Canadian 3 years ago. It's a 96
  8. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I buy a lot of gear, but I don't buy used for several reasons:

1: I can find better prices new, or "open box," than I can used. I shop hard.

2: I don't have to deal with exasperating, flaky musicians if I buy new (OK, bassists really are less flaky, but still...).

3: I would never buy an amp off of eBay due to the extremely high incidences of misepresentation or fraud or just seller boneheadedness.

4: If I buy new locally, I don't have to worry about shipping.

5: If I buy new online, I don't have to worry about getting ripped off by UPS when they break the amp and won't pay the private party shipper. I can just return the amp to MF (or whoever) at their expense. No six month hassle while some eBay mook fights with UPS so he can get my money back.

6: Return is always easier with a real retailer.

7: I have a warranty with a new amp. Most amp warranties aren't transferrable.

8: Amps have shelf lives. Buying new, fresh stock means I'm that many years farther away from cap jobs or other maintenance.
  9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'm guessing 2/3 of my gear was bought used. I buy new if I can't find it used.
  10. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I bought a used GK RB 400 on E-bay and it carped out a week or two later now its been in the repair shop for about two months. :mad:
  11. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Well you do have a point. I bought my QSC brand new for $500 below the normal selling price just from barganing and knowing the right people. However with companies like Mesa Boogie, I doubt it can be done. I remember when the Basis 2000 was discontinued and Mesa Hollywood had em for $1050 (down from the normal $1750). That was as low as they go. I got mine used for $600 and it hasn't had issues (well I thought it did, but it didn't...gah long story).

I guess it depends on the company and their retail sales policy.

I was waiting for the first bad experience :p

It's nice to see more people are replying with good experiences than bad (maybe the ones with the bad ones quit bass and wouldn't be seen here :smug: ).
  12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    I've bought used pretty often. Even my PLX 1602 was a beta unit, so it had been lent out to someone who put it through the wringer in the field, to test it out for QSC. ;)
  13. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I've bought TONS of stuff used off ebay and elsewhere, but when I look around the house, the stuff I still have is the stuff I bought new.

I think there are two parts of the brain...the part that says "Hey that's a great deal, I should get that because it's cheap" and the part of the brain that says "This is important and I want to buy exactly what I'm looking for". The former is the Ebay lobe and the later is the buy stuff at the store lobe. Stuff that comes cheap tends to go cheap and take $40 with it somewhere in the process.

Fortunately for me, Washington Music Center is within driving distance, so buying new is a joy every time.
  14. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I love buying used. Thats the only way I can get my TE stuff. The only items I have purchased new over the years was my first bass (still have it) and my first bass head (Hartke 3500-gone a long time ago!) My current Trace Elliot cab was purchased on Ebay for $382 to my door from Indianapolis! Other than a few scuff marks, it looks brand new. I have atleast 7 other items in my current rig that are used and you would be hard pressed to have known it was used.
    Ofcourse, if I got the gas for something, I'll buy new!
  15. I have bought all use basses. And only one of them was a lemon. So 3 out of 4 isn't bad.

As far as amps, I have gotten 2 amps used, and some other stuff used. I got my cab used, and my pre amp used. They work fine.
  16. well i´ve buyed both new´n used and it seems like i´ve been happier with my used stuff. it has mostly been new cabinets and used amps and those amps have all worked fine as with bases i´ve been having problems with all the ones that were new(BB1000,thunderbird,jazzbass) and no problem with the used ones(BB3000,ibanez musician). sometimes i do get the feeling that stuff in general were better made in the "old" days, still my new(had it some years now)V4B still works just fine so i don´t avoid new gear eather. it´s mostly a mather of prices and the mather of cash i have(or don´t have) that leads me towards used gear.
  17. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I buy mostly used gear in order to save money.
  18. lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Used. I don't have enough money to buy new. Simply fact.
  19. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I buy used.

Setup 1 contains a Trace Elliot power amp and an Ashly BP41 preamp

Setup 2 contains a Sunn 1200s amp

My combo is an Ampeg B100r

Our PA features Carvin and Trace Elliot power amps

All of the above were purchased used and have worked out great.
  20. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    i bought my current stuff new. i find that internet buying and selling too much trouble and over here in holland (at least where i live) most musicstores don't have much used gear. and for once i wanted to give myself a nice big expensive present.