Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How many of you really like playing Blues?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bottom Feeder, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder encridublee smatr

Nov 22, 2004
    Huntington Beach, CA
    My intention is not to offend blues players or those who really dig the blues but, while I like a few blues numbers and certainly don't mind a few in our set, I feel a bit reluctant when the guitar player wants to add too many blues numbers. He already wants to play nearly all hard rock tunes with lots of solos and I always feel blues is just a vehicle for the lead guitarist. I know the bass line can be fun and you have the opportunity to mix it up a little, they all just seem the same to me. I prefer a mix of rock, hard rock, some stuff a little poppier, and some stuff more technically interesting.
    Again, please take no offense but explain to me the desire to play blues.

Sincerely,
    Blue in the Face

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Because it's fun, drivin', soulful, energetic, laid-back, etc., etc., etc. and you can jam it out and extend songs on a moments notice...among other things I'm sure will be brought up.

3. Blues songs are fun, but one thing I learned in my one experience playing with a dedicated lead guitarist in our band...make sure you keep them on a short leash as far as the soloing. If it starts getting out of control, tell them, or they'll take it as the opportunity to make it "their" song and solo endlessly for about 20 minutes straight, back turned to the rest of the band, completely self-absorbed... :p

4. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Imagine that?

5. gdawg27

gdawg27

Jan 12, 2006
    What do you mean by technically interesting?

6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    He could mean something other than a I-IV-V progression with endless pentatonic riffing over it. I realize the blues reaches far beyond this, and I'm a big fan myself, but in my experience this is what a lot of rock guitarist resort to. It gets tiring.

7. MikeJacobs

MikeJacobs

Dec 28, 2003
    Adrian, MI.
    My Double Bass Instructor uses Blues structuring to teach and reinforce improv techniques and I found it so helpful
    that I find myself practicing Blues more then the Jazz that
    I was originally interested in when I started playing the Doghouse.
    Go Figure :rolleyes:

8. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder encridublee smatr

Nov 22, 2004
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I am thinking something along the lines of progressive such as Rush, Yes, Genesis, etc...

9. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Think one guitarist is bad try playing in the house band at blues jams. But blues is fun to play and you should also check out these guys/albums
    Albert Collins stuff had some cool bass stuff or his later stuff, I can't remember the bassist guys name though.
    Duck Dunn from Booker T. and M.G.'s
    Junior Well's Hoodoo Man Blues album had some cool bass on it.
    Freddie King's Big Legged woman has cool lines.

But yeah sometime guitarist want to play everything they know in 12bars and repeat that over and over again. That's when you scan the crowd for hot chicks.

Oh and yeah I really like playing the blues

10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
  11. Bob Bl.

Bob Bl.

May 1, 2003
    NC
    It's really much better to have two soloists in the band, if you can swing it. That way they can play off each other.

A keyboardist on piano, or better yet, a B3 (or reasonable facsimile ;) ), is a great addition to any band doing bluesy stuff. Sax? Cool. Harmoica? Better yet.

I tell myself I won't do another 2-guitar band, but I'll probably end up breaking that pledge someday. The usual references to guitarist volume and ego wars apply - you guys have heard all that!

Bob

12. Lex P.

Lex P. You've got it awful loud -Kathy P. Gold Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2003
    MSP
    I love playing the Blues! But then when I think of it. Of all the songs we play I don't have any I dislike. It's all fun.

And on another note my Guitarist is not a spot light hog and will actually give a look like "OK...end this now" when a song requires me to go into a change that would bring us out of the solo. I also don't hear him repeat much in any of his solo's.
    I must be blessed.
    Lex

13. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

+1 ...

twelve bars over and over can be boring , but not all
    blues tunes are straight ahead , twelve bar repetition ...

i might suggest that the reason you're bored is your guitar
    player is the stage stealing , " look at me , look at me " type .

sorry ... :meh:

dump him , not the music .

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Those bands are technically sophisticated, but aren't remotely related to the blues! :eyebrow: :bag:

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I enjoy playing the blues with musicians who know how to play the blues. Unfortunately, I often play the blues with musicians who only know how to play rock. :meh:

16. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Yes I hated those guys, the ones who either just play red house and then there are the stevie rip offs ugg. Give your guitar player some albert king albums, or buddy guy, or albert collins oh yeah and check out jerry jemont on completely well the bb king album.

17. rjny36

rjny36

Jan 29, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    I enjoy playing blues music, too. When you have a tasteful guitar player, who knows when to not play a million notes per measure (a very hard thing for guitarists!), it can sound great.

I've spent years and years listening to the music, in all its various forms, and you can hear "blues" in almost every musical style in some form or other. --- Muddy Waters sang, "The Blues Had a Baby, and They Named it Rock'N'Roll" for a reason. Jazz started out by trying to "urbanize" the blues, mixed with a few other influences. The difference between early country music and early blues was almost completely the color of the individual playing it. The list goes on and on.

Plus, one of the greatest blues musicians/songwriters was an upright bass player by the name of Willie Dixon. :)

18. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

" The Blues is the roots , the rest is the fruits ..."
    W.Dixon

19. rjny36

rjny36

Jan 29, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    I don't think I could type enough +'s and 1's. :)

20. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    What Ed said.

Most of my experience has been in blues bands, treated me well enough, paid for a lot of my gear. I love it due to it's pure improvisational nature. IMHO, the best thing about playing out live with other musicians is the communication, the give and take, that happens. Most times it's good, sometimes not so good, and rarer still it's magic. for me, blues a lot of times is all about feel and when it's right, it's the best! This can happen in jazz and other genres too, but it happens the most with the blues. Locking in with the drummer on a muscular, sweaty blues groove... well, it certainly gets noticed, nothing like it. There really is no way to explain it. IMO, you can listen to all the stuff the others have mentioned, but really, if you don't get it deep down inside, you just won't.

I mean, check my name...