1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How many of you started on bass?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by austentaciousC, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Started on bass

71 vote(s)
    56.3%
  2. Played guitar first

24 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. Played drums first

9 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. Other

26 vote(s)
    20.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. austentaciousC

austentaciousC

Mar 17, 2010
    Was just thinking about this and realized i have known alot of "Converts" to bass. I myself came from a big guitar background.

2. Proraptor

Proraptor

Apr 19, 2012
    I started on bass about a year ago

3. qervo

qervo

May 18, 2011
    I owned a guitar for about 3 months , never attempted to learn it, then traded it for a bass and I took off. So I actually started on bass and learned a little guitar afterwards.

4. Started playing bass in 6th grade ... got my first guitar in 8th grade I think, and first drumset at some point in highschool.

Technically, I started on recorder in 3rd grade.

5. Funnily enough I got started on Cello, then was like "hey i want to be like those cool folks in bands", and it went on from there. I've since ditched cello, and now play Double Bass and Electric, and couldnt be happier :D

6. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Started on bass about 35 years ago.

7. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    started noodling around with music in elementary school with flutes (recorders) and harmonica. My parents had both an organ and an acoustic guitar in the house so I messed with those too. I played accordion for 4 years in middle school. I guess those weekly Lawrence Welk shows influenced that decision. First instrument I got serious about was the electric guitar in high school. I played that for four years and jammed around with friends. My freshman year in college I discovered the bass when I was asked by my mom's friend if I would play bass for his solo oldies act. He loaned me the bass and taught me some simple bass lines to some oldies and I took it from there... That was in 1982.

8. noeinstein

noeinstein Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    Played sax for 5-10 years then switched to bass to be in a band in 1963 or 64. I'd like to say I have 50 years' bass-playing experience, but truth is that probably includes the same year of experience about 40 times. Tried picking up my tenor sax recently, thinking it would give me a better shot at gigs, but discovered I need to spend some time getting my wind back in shape. (I shoulda got the hint when I had to stop for breath halfway through tying my shoes.)

9. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough

Sep 30, 2012
    Portland, Oregon USA
    I started on DB. Reluctantly at first. I wanted to learn cello but was told it was for girls. Plus I was the biggest guy so hauling a DB around was pretty easy.

Played DB for seven years before I picked up an electric. Only did so when it finally became obvious that I wasn't going to study at conservatory.

10. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    Sax first for several years, then bass. Never did more than dabble with guitar. Am getting into piano recently.

11. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Bass first for me. Well, technically saxophone first, and I think I did fiddle with a drum set a little before getting my first bass. But I was never a drummer. Guitar I only started teaching myself a year ago, when I started wanting to do more songwriting.

12. Bochafish

Bochafish

Jul 26, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Asked to play bass first. My dad said it wasn't a real instrument, and made me take guitar. I was playing bass after 3 months of guitar lessons.

13. Gigabajillion

Gigabajillion

Sep 19, 2006
    Spring Hill, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Bluesman Vintage, Ernie Ball
    Started on Bass thinking it would be easier to learn than 6 strings on a guitar. Ha! Totally different animals!

14. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    Three sax players so far ...

15. Finneus

Finneus Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Oswego, IL
    Started on bass, added some 6 string later for songwriting purposes.

16. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I started on keys in the 80s and life was good.
    Actually, I started on mandolin but really got serious on keys.
    Anyway, Nirvana popped on the music scene and suddenly keyboards became dorky.
    I switched to bass because I found guitar boring. I still do to this day.

17. lpcarter

lpcarter Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    I started on bass, technically...the first stringed instrument I picked up was a guitar. It didn't work. I wanted to play it like a bass. Strumming seemed impossible for me. If things went well when I first picked up that guitar, I'd still be playing guitar today, probably.

18. I started on bass. I never wanted to play anything else. Played Double Bass in my school orchestra as a kid. I messed around with an acoustic guitar but never really got into it. Started picking out bass parts on it until I got my first bass guitar.
    Over forty five years later, I still have no interest in any thing but bass.

19. stugotz

stugotz Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Merritt Island
    In 1976 at the age of 9 I wanted to be Gene Simmons. I cut two strings off my brothers old acoustic and found a "Play bass with the Ventures" album at a garage sale. After the ass whoopin by my brother I started takin lessons. Thats when I heard Rush. So now Im 10 years old and Gene Simmons doesnt exist any more. From that day when I first heard "In the mood" I was hooked.....

20. Bass, the whole bass & nothing but the bass. :D

Started on bass 36 years ago. Never played geetar, or anything else.