1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How many of you still have the bass you learned on?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoratioMumbles, Nov 20, 2020 at 3:30 PM.

1. JoratioMumbles

JoratioMumbles It's all jazz...it's ALL jazz... Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2015
    Arkansas
    How many of you still have the bass you learned on? Furthermore, how many of you still play it from time to time...or even, regularly? Me personally, I learned on an ESP vintage 214 unlined fretless. I still have it, and play it at least 3 times a week.

zontar, thabassmon and telecopy like this.
  2. ...start thread titles & don't finish them?

3. JoratioMumbles

JoratioMumbles It's all jazz...it's ALL jazz... Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2015
    Arkansas
    fixed :)

mikewalker likes this.
  4. Ricky Rioli

Ricky Rioli

Sep 29, 2020
    UK
    I learnt on a 7-string tuned BDGCEAF. I still play it each morning, shortly after I arise at 5 o'clock, usually my arrangement of Bartok's Sonata For Solo Violin, but sometimes his Op.18 Studies.

Not really, I learnt on a 4-string Yamaha, and since I only bought it in the summer, I've still got it :woot:

Mvilmany, PWRL, Timmy Liam and 3 others like this.
  5. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

I have every bass I ever bought.

JRA, Basslice, LowActionHero and 8 others like this.
  6. ukulelelab

ukulelelab

Apr 14, 2013
    No, my first bass was a '78 fender musicmaster. As much as I loved it my mind was blown and shoulder was relieved after I played a p bass for the first time (early 80's MIJ).

7. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    I still have my '67P from the early seventies. I take it out occasionally if I go sit in for a few tunes with friends and don't want to drag the bigger/heavier ABG.

Beat me by two - I've owned six total since the early seventies and have let go of two.

8. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    not me. I thought it was at my mom’s house but she says it isn’t there.

9. marchone

marchone Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2009
    NYC
    My first bass was a Japanese Teisco short scale. I sold it as soon as I could afford a Fender Telecaster in 1968. Sold that one for the rent one month in 1971 and bought the one I own now ever since.

Bassman Spiff and StevieMac like this.
  10. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    I wish.. Gibson EB-2. And my second, Mapleglo 4001..

11. delta7fred

delta7fred

Jul 3, 2007
    England
    I wish I still had my first bass, I made it in woodwork class in about 1967. It was unplayable above the fifth fret and a boat anchor.

I bought a 62P in about 1969 and still have that though. :bassist:

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020 at 5:15 PM
    farmertom and George Dennis like this.
  12. Japanese Fender P. Got it 3 years ago, and it's still my main player.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020 at 5:09 PM
    Pdaddy1978 likes this.
  13. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

Hey, it's hard to end sentences on a preposition........

Hover-Rich likes this.
  14. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    I learn on every bass I ever had

15. I still have mine. A Squier Affinity P. I converted it to fretless and it is my only fretless so I actually do still play it regularly. Sounds like garbage (at least compared to my Fender P`s) but some day I will upgrade the pickup and I have high hopes for it`s future. It is very lightweight and actually sounds really good unplugged so maybe with a new pickup it might be a keeper for more than sentimental reasons.

instrumentalist likes this.
  16. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I still own the first bass I ever bought, a Ric 4001. The Ric is now a Frankenbacker with Alembic pickups and electronics, and a 2-Tek bridge. It's arguably a better bass, but it's not a Ric anymore :atoz:.

If I could go back in time, I would slap myself :bag:. I bought the Ric used, but it was not exactly cheap. I have put more into the mods than I paid for the bass :greedy:. The value of the bass with the mods is probably about 1/3rd of what it would be worth if I had left it stock :facepalm:.

Around 1992 I transitioned to a Yahama BB5000 (5-string). Then around 1995 I transitioned to a Yamaha TRB6P (6-string). The TRB6P remains my #1 to this day.

I make it a point to play all of my basses a couple of times every year, but the TRB6P is my constant companion.

17. Yes it's here. Yamaha RBX170. Dad's present, and as such, has an incalculable value to me. Both me and my wife learned on it. Well. actually, SHE learned on it. I went no further than learning some little things....before succumbing to the noisy fascination of drums.

Picture from the last live appearance of this bass, few years ago
    View attachment 4060406

18. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    I do!

DSCN3560.JPG DSCN3559.JPG

3Corpo.jpg 1Frente.jpg

19. staurosjohn

staurosjohn Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Nottingham, MD
    Wow... loooong goooone- ‘no-name’ *something* (circa 1975) :roflmao:

CDEA1ECA-F5EF-472F-A2BB-DF37FF5C7E1F.jpeg

J_Bass likes this.
  20. deste

deste

Sep 14, 2009
    Bologna, Italy, Europe
    Endorsing Artist: GullanskyLab pickups
    You're a wise guy, my friend.

Hover-Rich and staurosjohn like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 25, 2020