1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How many of you take pictures of your amp settings?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassplayer1494, Oct 31, 2013.

1. I just recently started doing this because I think I found a really good sound out of my amp!

I don't know why but these settings just seemed to work great for every song at practice the other day. From classic rock to our originals, it sounded great for everything.
    The tone was very punchy and it really stood out to me.
    I'm so glad I took a picture of my amp because I would forget these settings in a heartbeat! ::)

Attached Files:

2. southpaw723

southpaw723

Oct 20, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    If I'm really liking the tone I get I'll take a picture. Plus sometimes my settings move around when I have to lug my amp somewhere so it's good to have a picture of it.

3. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I have a Picture of My Carvin BX500 for a reference point but it always changes depending the Club I am playing at. My Hartke LH1000 is simple 5,6,7 on the Bass, Mid, Treble knobs. then I tweak from there based on the room. I like to dial in more Bass and less Mids with My RIC Vs. My Fender Precision.

4. ChopperDave

ChopperDave Hai-ohhhhhhh!

Nov 14, 2012
    Boston, MA
    I do it all the time ... of course, that means I'm constantly changing it. So I'm not sure how useful it is!

Okay, exaggeration ... I take pics and refer to them as a baseline when I am in a new room. Then I adjust accordingly. If I know I'll be back in that room often, I'll take a new pic and make sure I know it's "the setting for x room."

5. I run my amp set 'flat' and handle eq from the bass and some pedal presets. I can usually remember where 'zero' is on the amp, but I often misplace my car.

6. vbchaos

vbchaos

Sep 5, 2011
    Groningen, The Netherlands
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I have a strip of tape with the settings marked on it. I loose pictures all the time

7. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Not so much live because different rooms require different settings, but I always do it in the studio so I can recreate the settings for a song if I have to come back and do a punch-in.

8. Grissle

Grissle

May 17, 2009
    I do it with pedal settings

9. nojj

nojj Guest

May 20, 2013
    In the studio, yes. Or at least write down the settings.
    I used to do custom presets for venues on my old Nightbass rig.
    Nowadays, depends on the room, and which cab/basses I'm using.

10. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex

Dec 29, 2011
    Down South
    I write mine on tape on the back of the amp.......I'm old school!

11. Lol our guitarist who moonlights as a bass player in another project took a picture of my settings when I had to borrow his rig (LMII + hydrive 4.5), after having given up on the rig thinking it sounded like crap :D

Didn't have the heart to tell him that it's in the fingers.

Personally, I don't really take photos of my amp settings, but I do with my pedal settings. I find they move a lot more in transit and seem to be a lot more volatile.

12. zenman

zenman

Jan 30, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    In the old days we would have to actually remember stuff like this...

13. Yeah, using technology designed to make your life easier to make your life easier sucks.

14. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Pictures here - or what I've done lately is just take a dry erase marker and make a little tick mark at each setting, pedals included.

15. BenWhoPlaysBass

BenWhoPlaysBass

Jun 7, 2013
    VA
    When I was using a 10-band graphic EQ pedal in the FX loop, photos were CRUCIAL for me. Never know when a slider would get knocked outta place in the pedal case.

16. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    I remember that - but I was an early adopter of the pencil when it was invented.

17. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I used to document things when I used more commercial stuff because there was always some twiddling needed to get where I wanted to go - certain rigs/combinations more than others.

Once I started building my own amps and cabs, it all became very easy - no more fighting, no more tweaking - now, it's almost hard to make it sound bad. GAS dismmissed!

18. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I spent years learning how to dial in my first Bass 400. I took pics of all the settings (which if changed even slightly, seemed to alter the perfection that i had dialed in) and my Sansamp settings which I'd run in the loop. I had to sell in unfortunate circumstances.

When I got my second Bass 400, I looked up my old pics and dialed in the same settings. Different sound! Must be the slight difference of preamp tubes and JJ KT88 vs Tung Sol 6550 in the current amp.

19. Abrahampost

Abrahampost

Feb 22, 2013
    Vermont
    I do this for my pedals... Seems like my micro synth always has a slider way out of position. As far as my amp, my Eden is almost always set flat expect for the magic enhance knob and I bump the high mids if I want to cut through on stages bit.

20. NekoTheWolf

NekoTheWolf

Feb 20, 2013