How many of you talk to your wife/mate about TB threads

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jive1, Jun 9, 2005.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I finf myself talking to my wife about things I've read on Talk Bass. It has made for interesting conversations.

I was just wondering if anyone else does the same.
  2. I just finished doing exactly that. Odds are I'll go tell her about this thread too. :p
  3. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Tattletale! :D
  4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I'm going to need to see a pic of your wife if I am to believe
    you are actually married after walking around saying hi to
    random people for years. ;)
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah, I do too. I share with her some of the things I have learned on the site. I tell her about the deals I have made, and will sometimes show her pics in the thread of something I am going to buy. I also tell her about some of the funny stuff in OT.

6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    My g/f (now that she's in town), regularly views TB threads. Sometimes we watch them together. She'll make suggestions, and sometimes I even post them (when we happen to be aligned in our opinions). Two heads are better than one. :)
  7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I learned that girlfriends/wives/whatever do not need TB. They don't play bass... thus, they don't need to be here... I also learned that they throw a damned fit when you tell them that.
  8. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

my wife actually likes TalkBass , and the threads i post on ...

she's not to fond of the "For Sale" forum though ...;)
  9. wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Sometimes yes. I'll show her basses I think are cool and see what she thinks. She's a musician too and thinks its neat to share knowledge and hang like this.

Though I'll still never forget the time I showed her a Nordstrand SC bass and she said it looked like an oven mitt... Now I can't look at any SC bass without thinking 'oven mitt.'
  10. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004

Didn't she even post for you to let us all know when you were in the hospital or something like that?

I mention things about TB to my wife and my friends all the time. Most get a kick out of it.
  11. Sometimes, then ususally I get the eye roll and the condescending knod...
  12. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    I speak to my mother about TB threads all the time :p

Mother: What are you doing?
    Me: I'm reading about how to shield the pickup cavities of a J using copper foil and tack soldering!
    Mother: Oh well, thats nice *tries to look smart*

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I've began a few stories with "On Talkbass..."
  14. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yep, she meant well. ("See other thread"). :)

I'm very lucky when it comes to my g/f Nicky, she's actually "interested" in my interests. :D

And vice versa, she's a real smart young lady, and I try to learn from her, every chance I get. :):):)
  15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    No wife/girlfriend here, but it comes up in regular conversations with my best friend and a couple musician friends.
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep. My wife is a member here, and used to post and read quite a bit. She doesn't anymore, but I do tell her about threads here, and occasionally show her a picture of something I want.
  17. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Me too. And she (my wife, not my girlfriend) will usually politely nod, if it's too bass-related, but she gets into some of the off-topic threads and will read through them.

A follow up question is does your wife/girlfriend ever end up liking some other person's post more than yours??
  18. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    My girlfriend is generally uninterested in what other people have to say about basses and such, but she tells me to no end what they talka bout on her precious Ben Kweller board. It's kinda funny. I think she had somtehing like 3500 posts in 3 months. Doesn't visit that place at all anymore.
  19. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Just when I read something odd or insane..