Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How many of you use a subwoofer to handle your low end?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by VS, Mar 30, 2004.

1. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    How many of you guy's use a subwoofer to handle the low frequencies? I mean a frequency restricted sub not exceeding 300hz. Those who do,how do you run your setup,what kind of sub do you use? What kind of head,etc. Also,what do you use for the "other half" so to speak,as far as what kind of cab are you running with it. Thanks guy's,Luke

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I do. A dbx 120xp serves as the xover, it feeds one side of a Mackie 1400i power amp, which feeds an 18" EV in a noname cab. I really like the tone I get from biamping, but it is a bit limiting in that when I'm playing a smaller venue I don't feel like rewiring stuff so I just bring the whole deal. Actually, I do have other amps I could use for smaller venues, but I don't get them out so I guess I'm just addicted to the sub!

3. Having bi-amped for years I grew accustomed to a certain level of lows in my set-up. In my last set-up I used 2x10s and an 18, crossing over around 125hz-150hz. It worked very well most of the time. Now all I use is an Acme Low B-4 and it often puts the house subs to shame! There's not a lot of reason to haul all that stuff around any more with modern speaker technology allowing for products like the Accugroove El Whappo and cabinets from Acme like the Low B-4. I now have a single cab thats half the size and puts out twice the low end. Seems like a much more cost effective sollution as well.

4. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I used an Avatar B112 for the top end (small box with an Eminence Kappa 12 and horn). I use a pair of homemade 1x12 subs for the lows (4 ohm JBL car audio subs). I push it with a Yamaha preamp (crossover about 150hz) and both sides of a QSC RMX-1450. I make about 500w into the subs and 275w into the Avatar, it's flat to 30hz and the biggest box weighs about 45#.

5. I do.

The stage rig is usually two 1x15 subs and two 1x10 JBL E110, biamped with a QSC PLX3002, Rane MX22, dbx 120a synth.

I've not found a commercial cab yet that will put out the bottom end, especially so when the dbx is engaged (26 hz).

Hauling them around gets old. I rarely play anywhere with PA support for the bass.

6. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    I use a Bag End S18E and a 2-10.

7. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    I'll use a AccuGroove Whappo Grande 21" sub with an El Whappo or Whappo Jr. for full range. Normally I'll drive them with a Crest Pro 8200 amp & a Millennia STT-1 Origin preamp. Both cabs are ran full range with the same signal, I just use the volume controls per channel on the amp to blend in the separate volumes.

I’ve also used with great success a Alembic FX-1 preamp where the top cab is ran full range & the sub is through the sub filter.

Whappo Grande & El Whappo
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Mark
    AccuGroove.com

8. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...HAD 'em both...nice...

~S~

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yup, me too.

still, that Accugroove setup is lookin' mighty tastie... :cool:

10. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I'm still waiting for some scratch to get an INFRA sub to go under my Bag End Q10, but until then, my little bitty ELF 2x10 does nicely...

11. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    Tastie...wait tell you try the Whappos with cheese![​IMG]

Mark
    AccuGroove.com

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i do. yamaha sw118iv pa sub with an 18" speaker. big cab, but not too heavy. handles the low f# pretty decently, and was cheap, which at the time was the primary concern. i plan on upgrading eventually, but i'm not in too much of a hurry about it.

13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I presume you guys are talking about rigs that you use to fill a room, NOT when using PA support? If I ran very much low end on stage when going through the PA, the soundman would string me up by my cahones . . .

14. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    I've got a whappo and the grande w/ extra cheese. Burger King has not been the same since.

[​IMG]

15. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    WOW, is that a pac-man inlay I see? :eek:

16. That has to be be Bill Dickens' rig.

Am I close?

I'm using 2 full-range cabs with 12" lowrangers. According to my calculations (never done a real measurement) the cabs are flat down to 30 Hz. They're not dedicated subs, but once I have more time on my hands, I'll rebuild the 2 cabs into 1 2x12 sub.

[​IMG]

17. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You didn't notice the knobs??????

18. Stingray4Christ

Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    NY
    Someday I will complete my rig with the McWhappo extra value meal with special sauce...For now I guess I'll just have to settle for my McWhappo ;)

~Pete

19. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    that whappo 21" is something i've gotta try...
    for now it's a jbl proline 1x18 sub w/the built-in stereo crown power amp(internal x-over@125hz). you can use the other half of the 640watts continuous per side power section for your top box(in my case an eden 4x10xlt) or to power another sub.
    also has phase reverse for the internal speaker and great casters.
    the cab is small from the front-21x23 but a bit deep-26 (to house the power section.) the casters are on the back so it's easy to flip up and roll. really massive, blooming lows, with plenty of punch from the front-loaded 18.
    dk

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    :eek: :eek: