Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How many of you use hearing protection

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Nov 21, 2001.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    This has probaly been posted before, so I'm sorry if this is redundant.

I'm just wondering how many of you people use earplugs, cotton, whatever when you play. I was beginning to notice my ears would hurt and things would sound muffled for a while, after a gig, so I figured I would invest in some hearing plugs, because my hearing is everything. I haven't used them for the past couple gigs, cause I didnt really have time to get them in my ear, and try them out. I'm gig testing them for the first time tonight. Espcially since the stage I'm playing on is very small, and I got a good blast of all the instruments.

2. Forgive me for being blunt, but my opinion is that anyone who gets onstage without hearing protection is either playing an acoustic set or is an idiot.

I'm a little older than most folks here, but if you think about it there are a heck of a lot of 40+ year old musicians wearing hearing aids now. Pete Townsend, Ted Nugent, Annie Lennox and so on. I'd like to see if anyone else can add to the list - maybe some other folks can think of some more famous people who now have hearing loss from performing live.

Exposure to 115db sound can damage your hearing <b>permanently</b> in as little as 15 minutes - and the damage is cumulative.

allan

3. A Hear-O in one ear and the In-Ear monitor in the other. I don't think I ever got any hearing damage, but it may take time to show up.

Rock on
    Eric

4. jesica

jesica

Jul 13, 2001
    USA, MI
    um...well i guess i'm a pretty big idiot, i've "blown"(i have no idea what that means, thats just what the doc says) my eardrum 3 times this year. it sucks, i'm only 16 and i have a bad ear. you would think that i would start protecting my ears...:rolleyes:

5. :eek:

Ouch. Next time, don't put your ear up next to the speaker.:D

Rock on
    Eric

6. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    where can I get a decent earplug that regulates the decibals or should I just use cotton? It looks queer on stage, to say the least, seeing some old guy with cotton popping out of his big hairy ears. i don't want to be like that. please suggest other possiblities. thank you.

7. :( What? huh......

8. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Yeah, cotton doesn't do jack. You can get some "Hearos" earplugs at guitar center, I use the "rock 'n roll" reusable kind.

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I use Hearos for more than 8 years now, @ rehearsals, gigs, discos, concerts and work.

http://www.hearos.com/home.htm

Great plugs, better highs than with those worker's plugs. 30dB damping.

My hearing is fine :)

I plan to get those custom-made plugs that don't color the sound.

10. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Can´t be a better way to say that!!!!!!!!!

I´ve been using them for more than 5 years (not the same pair, of course!!!!):D

11. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    The bassist from the Deftones...

*waits for laughing to stop*

uses custom molded Westone earplugs. Are those any good? Where can I get them? How much $ ?

12. Hey,
    Check out www.hearnet.com
    I gave them a call, and plan to see them in December for a fitting. The plugs will run me about $150, but I think it's worth it. When I called, I spoke to the founder
    ~A BASS PLAYER~

She's really cool.

~Andrew

13. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    For those of us on a budget, I'd suggest the North Sonic II plugs. They are a -6db cut (as opposed to -15db for the Westones), but they run about $12 at Mars Music. I wear one in my left ear (the side towards the band). Years ago, I did the same thing in my loud rock band, and am glad I did.

14. I dont know, hearing protection isnt very rock and roll. I think my hearing is far more endangered by all those nights in nightclubs and up the front of heavy gigs then the hour or two each week im actually performing. And theres no way im going into a night club with hearing protection! :D

15. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Another big name with hearing problems is Paul Gilbert - it was mentioned a couple of months ago in Guitarist magazine!

They did a feature on earplugs - the super snazzy expensive custom jobs came out top, but how much is your hearing worth???

Strange, I don't use anything in the studio for rehearsing (we don't often play that loud), we also haven't gigged a lot and when we have have generally only used monitor/backline for monitor at low levels - not what the audience is getting through the PA!!!

Ironically, every time I go out on my bike (the motorised type) I wear earplugs!!! I use the 3M ones and they are absolutely great (they also were recommended in Ride magazine - steady, it's a Motorcycling magazine!!!!!). I've tried them in the studio, but I do backing vocals and unfortunately sound like Quasi Modo with these things in when I sing!!!!

If our band develops to gigging regularly we have decided we want to go the in ear monitoring route - 'cos we're worth it!!!:D

Edit:- Hey, I just noticed this is my 100th post!!! I'm a member now!!! Now where's that credit card......

16. I use Westone 15db musician's earplugs. I wish I'd have started using them years ago cause I definitely have suffered some hearing loss. My advice to anyone would be to save up and invest in some good hearing protection. My earplugs were molded to my ears so they are a perfect fit. They cost me about $115-125 or something like that. Well worth the money in my opinion.

17. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I suffer from slight non music caused tinnitus. My ears are very sensitive as well. I always carry a pair of ER20's. I wear them for gigs (muso and punter) DIY and work when they start up machinery next door.

18. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

Is deafness? Or sign language?

19. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I always protect my ears because it's just stupid not to. I primarily use cotton, which I find to cut quite evenly at all frequencies, although maybe not by that much. We're never so loud that a small lump of cotton won't be enough, though, plus a lot of the effect comes from how and how much you put in your ears. Do it right, and you got very good protection against amp Marshall stack feedback and 18" crash cymbals.