1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How many of you use your tweeter/horn?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zachoff, Oct 22, 2010.

1. My main rig doesn't have one, but it's always off on my practice rig at home (YamahaBBT500H/210). Don't dig the shrill tones & have maybe played two cabs that had horns that didn't sound shrill... One being my Schroeder & the other being a Wayne Jones.

2. I live the one in my 6x10.

3. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I'm one of the few who actually like the sound of a driver/tweeter. I think the key is to have an attenuator on the tweeter to tame it down a bit.

4. oerk

oerk

Oct 16, 2009
    Bavaria
    In my 12" DIY cabs, it is necessary to retain any high end.

With other cabs, I've never really used it because it wasn't necessary for my tone (and it sounds bad with distortion).

In my practice rig, the tweeter is turned on most of the time because of the drum computer in the effects loop. A drumkit sounds baaad when it's low passed at 5 kHz.

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I have mine set at -12db. I know it's practically off, but I just can't bring myself to go all the way.....

6. You are kidding right:D Virtually every one of the 100 or so bass players I know and hang with use full range cabs and love them.

Of course, there are thousands of bassists who like an old school tone or use flatwound strings, or use distortion, where a tweeter would at best not matter, and at worst sound like dog.

And yes, to the OP, like anything else, a 'bad' tweeter sounds, well, bad:D

IMO, one of the things that causes at least some to not like tweeters is user error.. thinking that the 'noon' setting on an attenuator is 'flat' and hence the best setting. A tweeter will also lay poor technique brutally bare.

I always chuckle at this topic, with all the guys who say 'I play bass, not treble' and other idiotic rot. That is about the most ignorant comment I ever heard, since extending the top end of a cab has NOTHING to do with the low end response (and in some cases, allows you to use a driver that has MORE low end response:smug:).

Tweeters don't 'suck', and tweeters aren't applicable for all playing styles.

This post is not directed to you, but you gave me the excuse to rant:p

7. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I like them. They can bring a clarity the the high controls on the amp (or the pre on the bass) don't. I play bass, not a drum, so I need the whole spectrum, not just lows.

I've had tweets in everything since I got a Hartley 4.5XL back around 1996. Since then I've used Eden D XLT cabs (410 & 212), E/A, and Avatar.

There are controls to tame the shrillness, on the amp, the cab, and the bass, as well as in your fingers.

John

8. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    +1, and I did'nt want to offend all those 12/6 and 15/6 users out there in bassland. ;)

9. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Dang! That smarts man! :atoz:

10. duderasta

duderasta

Feb 25, 2010
    Tampa, FL
    The tweeters on my Eden cabs sounded OK as long as they were turned down a bit. I can go either way depending on the cab, and the gig

11. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I'm using a coax Bag End, so the tweeter is pretty much full blast. I'm not a stainless string, crazy slap guy either. I'm using a P bass with flats (although I do still slap them when the occasion calls for it), so I guess I'm in a real minority.

I think the tweeter really adds a lot on the top that I feel I'm missing with tweeterless cabs.

12. Mola Ram

Mola Ram

Jan 18, 2010
    Chicago
    I'm a big tweeter fan. I'm using a GK 700RB-II and the dual tweeter and woofer volumes is just an awesome option when using their bi-amp feature.

Right now I have the woofer at dead 12 and the tweeter around 2.

13. That's a unique and interesting implementation of a two way cab. The biamp allows you to grind up the woofers a bit with that classic GK grind, and then put some pure, clean upper treble over that classic 'one way cab warmth and grind, and even all out distortion'. Pretty slick.

14. :D Hey, me too.... it can really send you to the woodshed sometimes.

15. At some point I will disable the tweeter on my Ampeg BA115 to get rid of the hiss they are notorious for. I doubt I'll miss it, I'm going for an old school tone anyway.

16. tony_clifton

tony_clifton

Nov 14, 2009
    I use one cab with a tweet and one without (112s), the tweeter attenuator is set halfway up, highs are slightly backed of with the EQ. Love it adding some glassyness to the tone. And I don't even think it sounds bad with distortion, although I don't use a lot and I don't add redicoulous amounts of highs.

17. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    I use them on both of my cabs. Eden 2x10 XST, Acme Series II 2x10.
    I like then because they have attenuators and you can adjust as needed or not.

18. BrBss

BrBss

Jul 9, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    I prefer to leave the tweeter full on, and turn down the highs on the eq. This prevents getting a nice sound on the amp while sending a brutally "crisp" tone to the sound guy.

19. Mola Ram

Mola Ram

Jan 18, 2010
    Chicago
    I completely agree. Being able to dial those in separately was the reason I went with GK in the first place. Though I'm probably ruining that a bit by also using an overdrive pedal, right...

20. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I generally find that tweeters add a lot of presence and high-end definition that just can't be achieved with normal drivers. I usually have a tweeter on and tweaked for the room. With that said, coaxial drivers sound more natural to my ears.