How many of you went broke buying your rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DraVenSF, May 20, 2005.

1. Just wondering how many of you love your music so much, you sacrificed new clothes, more food or whatever to get yourself the rig you wanted.

How much did you spend and how long did it take to recover??

I'm honestly thinking of going all out and buying me my Aggie Rig, but not sure... the thought of going broke isn't sounding nice right now but I want my rig dammit! but then again who doesn't go broke buying Aggie equipment ha
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Ahh, don't go broke. Buy used if at all possible. And just be patient!
  3. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    Pull the trigger and take the pain. It builds character and you'll be lean n mean....... But you'll also be so happy that you made the sacrifice. Just don't go to the point of becoming homeless. But that's what girl friends are for ;)
    Happy Times ,
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Seriously, take my advice. I have no job, and a lot of debt from buying that kind of stuff. Always buy things in the safest way possible, you will be a lot better off if you do. Sure, the newest and shiniest is great, but what is wrong with the odometer reading a few thousand miles, right? Still so close to new it still smells like it. Nothing wrong with that. Patience is the key.
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    debt is no good and best avioded. however, i dont see anything wrong with cutting out a lot of stuff and otherwise sacrificing to get some cool gear.

i've bought some stuff new and a lot of stuff used. i also had a lot of redundant gear (extra preamps, etc). during a recent financial setback, i had to sell quite a bit of stuff. fortunately, most of it was bought used, and for good deals. All of it was good quality stuff, and kept its value well. I was able to sell a good deal of the stuff for close to what i paid for it, so my losses were minimal.

Not that resale value is the biggest consideration for me when i buy stuff, but it can definitly help if the need arises.

i've definitly made some purchases that took months or even a year to recover from, and the total cost of my current setup? including the bass, jeez maybe 6K? replacement value is a lot closer to 10K. :ninja:
  6. I see what Trevorus is saying, and kinda agree, but im bad for buying stuff i cant afford, i bought my SVT II when i was already a few hundred £ in debt, thank f*ck for student bank acounts with interest free overdrafts and student loans :)
  7. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Did you know that you can un-screw the back of a SWR goliath cab and sleep in it?
  8. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Theres always internal organs to sell as well as deposits to the local sperm bank, maybe sell one of the kids if you have any... :D
  9. Gomex

Jan 7, 2005
    a diet of bread, rice and water never killed anyone
  10. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I didn't go broke but I'll say there's quite a bit on my credit card that's gonna be due next payment :X
  11. Until september, i've only got minimum savings, because i'm going to go to college, and will get my gi bill. I've spent over half my savings on a 5 string fretless, another avatar cab, and an ergo electric upright, which unfortunately means a primarily ramen oriented diet for the next 4 months. What do you think I chose? :bassist:
  12. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Beef Flavor?

13. i think im going to in a couple weeks when i buy a mesa 400+. worth it though.
  14. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I had to bum subway fare to get home after I bought my Travis Bean bass new back in the 70s. I nearly got kicked out of the place I was renting at the time, since I came up a week late, and I've never gone that far since. I don't believe in being in debt, really. Certainly not for elective items like bits of bass gear. Sacrificing other luxuries is fine by me though, and I've certainly done that over the years.
  15. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I did live on generic chicken flavor Rice-a-Roni and cool aid for 3 months just because I found the rice stuff on sale for 3 packs for a dollar. By the end of the 3 months I had a few hundred bucks sitting in my savings account that I promptly blew on a used Ric.
  16. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    "How many of you went broke buying your rig?"

Do you mean, "how many times"? :D
  17. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    Hey Buddy, can you spare some Ramen Noodles?
  18. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Ohhh man when we were on the road all the time back in the early 90s we ate so much ramen noodles that after awhile my body started to reject the nasty stuff! My stomach refused to digest it. The thought of ramen noodles now makes me want to puke! We hated them so bad back in those days that we had to use some green plant to make us hungrey enough!
  19. Washishimi

Washishimi Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    Does being broke WHILE buying a new rig count?? I gues that would be "making you broker" :D
  20. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I've had to cut back on the spending on occasion while buying gear...but I've always made my bills.

I have a strategy with my finances that helps...since I'm accounting impared...

I get paid weekly, and my first paycheck of the month goes to rent (with about 75 bucks left over for food etc). My second paycheck goes to insurance, interweb, phone, and FOOD etc. My third check of the month goes to my credit card...which has a balance higher than it should, but not terrible. My fourth check of the month is mine. I'll save it for gear or fun or maybe, if I don't have anything to spend it on, it goes for a second payment on my credit card. I also try to put some in one of my investment accounts when I can...but my employer puts in a goodly amount every month too.

This way I pay everything, stay outta trouble and get cool stuff.