How many of you,.....

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Figjam, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    When you pluck a string, does your figner follow through and rest against the next string? I was playing with my basssist friend the other day and he recomended i do this so that the other strings dont vibrate at all,so i was wondeering who does it.
  2. Little G

Little G

Feb 27, 2003
    If I am playing down from the G string to the E my finger often falls on the next string. I thumb also tends to follow through to the next string when slapping too
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    All the time. Muting is essential.
  4. Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    Always. As the follow through of each stroke. The finger may only rest on the string for a microsecond if I am playing fast. Classical guitar players are sensitive to the difference between rest stroke (what we're talking about here) and free stroke (like for broken arpeggios).

Rest stroke gives a fatter sound. Most fingerstyle bass playing is done rest stroke for this reason. I have the impression that players of 6+ string basses use a more classical guitar like RH position and are more likely to a very light touch and more free stroke.
  5. I always do this. I have never really learned that I should do it it just comes naturally for me.
  6. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
  7. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Yes, me too. Like Funkateer says, it may only rest on the string for a microsecond if I am playing fast. And also, like Litle G said; Same with the thumb when slapping too.
  8. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    really? :eek:

maybe this is the reason my slapping kinda sucks. i don't this. maybe i should try. do most people follow through when they thumb? have you always done this????

9. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
  10. Not me. My left hand and thumb mute the strings I'm not playing. When I play staccato I use the next right hand finger to mute the string that I just plucked. I think it's just a matter of preference as long as you DO mute one way or the other.
  11. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I read an interview with Les Claypool about a year ago (bass player mag?) In this interview Les mentioned how when he was young somebody (I think he said it was a famous player, but I'm really not sure) told him that to get a good slap sound you don't have to swing your hand way out from the bass or slap hard. He said the idea was to use a small, somewhat downward motion where the thumb really just grazes the string - it hits the string with just enough force to bounce off slightly and come to rest against the next (higher) string. (muting the string) I tried it and became comfortable and I was able to get a good tone fairly quickly. I now practice my thumb technique this way. I think it helped tighten up my slap technique and improved speed and tone. My thumb doesn't always mute the next string when I'm playing (songs) but I certainly practice the technique that way.
  12. I just started playing bass and do it naturally. Perhaps it's because my dad who is mostly a clasical guitar player taught me to play.
  13. zilla04

Feb 11, 2000
    .... It depends on what I'm playing. I like playing chordal so a lot of the time I don't want to mute the string. Also, when playing harmonics I don't want to mute. But if I am playing, say, a whole note (.... Whole note?!!?:eek: ) I'll mute like that.... I have to think that I do most of my muting with my thumb.... but I try to use all my fingers.:D :bassist:
  14. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I usually dont, but im thinking about doing it. Would it be a wise thing to learn? My stirngs dont really vibrate too much, but would it clean up my technique? Also, when you follow throguh with your fingers , do you really hit the next string with the pad of your finger and almost rest it there for a brief moment or is it a really quick tap-n -go type thing?
  15. panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    are you talking about playing A string and having your plucking fingers resting on E after they plucked A? that's the basic fingerpicking...! am I wrong? I didn't understand the question..........?
  16. si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
  17. I anchor my thumb on the next string so I mute that way. :bag:
  18. I do as well. Especially when playing jazz and solo stuff, so all your notes are clean there's no unwanted interference.

19. i do all most all of the time, but if it is needed that i don't do it i don't.