How many of you...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fenderbass1214, Jan 4, 2003.

1. fenderbass1214

fenderbass1214 Guest

Oct 29, 2002
    How many of you got lessons and learned from a teacher and how many of you taught yourself?
  2. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I did both. First I taught myself and went along dumb and happy for a few years, playing covers after learning them by ear.

A few years ago I went out and found a good instructor to help me get beyond the basics of reading and to help iron out some of my ingrained bad habits.

If I had it to do all over again I would have started working with an instructor right out of the gate. When you decide to be "self-taught" you limit your exposure to new ideas. You don't know what it is that you don't know.

3. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I've had two teachers and i've been self-taught.

The first teacher i had, had a big reputation for being a great teacher, but, imo, he was awful. He barely taught me anything about technique or theory (these are classical DB lessons, btw.) Just some one-octave ionian scale fingerings and a couple excercises. He mainly had me play written bass solos. At the time, i wasn't nearly as good as a reader as I am today, but those lessons weren't much of a help of anything. One serveral occasions, the teacher did not show up (i had lessons at my school) and i wasn't informed.

The teacher i'm currently studying with couldn't be better. He gives me vast amounts of material to work with, study, and learn. He's a helpful, responsible, kind and fair guy. My improvement shows from week to week.
  4. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I started off Teaching myself.. I have had one teacher working with me on my jazz chops.. I've met alot of great bass players and talked for hours with them about technique and what not... I've takin A.P theory in highschool and College theory. You are taking lessons from someone whether you realize it or not...
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I had one instuctor for aobut 5 months with one lesson a week. Since then I've taught myself. I'm in AP Music Theory and I have played in quite a few combos. I have gone to the Idyllwild arts Academy Jazz program 4 times where I have learned with some of the best. I plan on going to Berklee School of Music in the Fall(If I can get in) and then I Hope to go pro super-star!!! :D

I've been playing for about 5 years now. I would say that I know all the basics, but many things aren't as firmly placed in my mind as I would like them to be. Like I can play Teen Town without looking and nail it, I'm that comfortable with it. But I'm not that comfortable with my Harmonic and Melodic Minor scales. I would say I could probably use a teacher to help me fill in some of my gaps and tie up loose ends, but I just don't have the time now a days.

I taught myself pretty much every technique I know except for standard pitz style playing, I taught myself Slap/pop, Strumming, Tapping, Harmonics, Double Thumb....etc. I don't know how pristine my technique is, its probably pretty sloppy, but I am able to go fast when I need to and slow when I don't need to go fast, so I don't see any problem.

My reading could be better though.
  6. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    My teachers help me teach myself.
  7. I am completely self taught, with odd tid bits from my dad and my guitarist started learnign scales and reading music so we sorta did that together at band practice.

5 years and counting and i'm doing fine... ;)

8. i got "lessons" from my friend's older brother for a few months, then just learned on my own.
  9. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...
    hmmm i take lessons.. 4 times a month..once a week...
    Ive been taking for almost a year now. Almost as long as ive been playing, 3 months after i started playing i got lessons, so yeah, ive been playing about 1 year and 3 months....
    in 2 days.. will be the 1 year anneversary for me and my bass guitar though, the yamaha, my first.. jeezus.. all my firstsssststs are this year!!!! i love it!! oh my!!
  10. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    two teachers years ago. Upright guy from the Naval Academy, Byron Toney, and Walt Namuth, formerly with Buddy Rich -took two lessons a week from him for years. I've been teaching myself for years now since i got out of college. Actually I'm still trying to absorb all the stuff my teacheres gave me.
  11. so far I've just taught myself - and I'm only too aware of my limitations. I'm thinking about looking for a teacher when some of my other personal circumstances change!

until then I'll plod along and improve at my normal very slow rate!
  12. JMBass

Nov 27, 2002
    well....I got piano lessons for 5 years, but, I learned bass by my self
  13. I got a teacher for a couple of months to get me started. Really cool guy, laid the basis for my playing.

But since then I've been teaching myself
  14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

For guitar lessons I have had teachers, and a college level Jazz Guitar course. (Which Ruled!)

On Bass so far I am self taught. But I see myself in lessons by the middle of this year. I want to be able to do more technique-wise. And a teacher is the best way for me to learn that.
  15. hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    Had a teacher for 4 and a half out of the five years I've played.
  16. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Never had a teacher. no i'm not proud of it or anything. you just asked.
  17. plumfairy

Jan 5, 2003
    I've never been taught either but I might have a few lessons one day :)
  18. I'm currently taking lessons after about 2 years of teaching myself.
  19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I've had a few people show me things, but I have never had lessons.

I read lots of theory articles, practice sight reading and do online lessons on theory and technique.