How many people have taken bass lessons

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by madskillz, Oct 16, 2002.

1. madskillz

Sep 20, 2002
    It seems that there is a shortage of quality places to take bass lessons. Other instruments have all types of teacher, but bass teachers seem to be guitarists on the side. Anyone take lessons from a person who only plays bass?
  2. just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
    My bass teacher can play guitar, but if a devoted bass player now. He doesn't like anythign else for gigs as far as I know, but he can get by on guitar.
  3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I've had the good fortune to study with three different bass teachers who were bass players, not guitarists who "double' on bass.
  4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
  5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I should have, but good bass teachers are few and in between where i live.
  6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
  7. I took piano lessons for a while back in the 70's. I play classical guitar as well. I like to think of myself as a musician who plays the bass, among other instruments, rather than as a bassist. Never took bass lessons though.
  8. At least this person...

I took piano lessons a kid, flute as a young adult, bass as an older adult, and am taking double-bass lessons as an old curmudgeon... so watch out!

- Wil
  9. Ive taken bass lessons, piano lessons, saxaphone lessons (with alto, tennor and baratone) and drum lessons. Fastest way for me to learn is to be shown how to do it. Just the way i work i guess :eek:
  10. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah baby.

Bassist all the way. He plays double bass and bass guitar.

Translation for DBers: He plays the bull fiddle and canoe!
  11. You should have put a poll.
    I took lessons when I began, and just learned the most basic stuff on technique and theory. I'm about to take lessons again with an internationally known progressive rock band's bassist. :)
  12. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    My first two teachers only played bass but unfortunately this didnt stop them being useless.

Having put these bad experiences behined me and taught myself for 20 years I'm currently having lessons with Steve Lawson who should need no introduction on Talkbass.
  13. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Ditto. :) My current teacher was trained on the upright.

...Am I the only one here being taught bowing techniques on the electric bass? :D
  14. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    i've taken a semester of Jazz bass... I took about 4 years of private trumpet the moment just taking voice lessons..
  15. msaygilar

msaygilar Guest

Apr 18, 2000
    I had lessons from 4 different bass players. They were all professionals. I just learned basic techniques. I focused on theory. When I stopped having lessons. I bought a book. Chord Progressions for Electric Bass. Richard Appleman's book. from Berklee College of Music. It`s just what I wanted. I developed my technique and reading. And also talkbass and helped me a lot.
  16. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Im taking lessons right now (been taking them two months now and it's a 6 month course)

the teacher has been great, I understand now most of the basic theory and im improving my reading skills a lot (which it was why i entered in the first place)

teacher is a great all-around musician who mainly plays guitar but his bass playing and the knowledge of the role of bassplaying is superb... he plays bass for one of the best blues band on town and guitar for his rock band and guitar for a cover band.

i consider myself lucky because there are not that many musicians in my town and even less music teachers.

(also the teacher wants me to play bass in one of his future improv bands :) )
  17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I had a teacher for a few months...three times a week for maybe 4 or 5 months, learned a bunch, I stopped taking lessons from him because I moved, right before he was going to teach me slap, so now my slap style is rather unorthodox, but I can still play clear and fast when needs be, so I don't consider it a problem.

he was a bass player who doubled on guitar, not the otehr way around.
  18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I have never taken bass lessons, but I had a basic theory class in college, and took private lessons from a guitarist. In addition to theory, the guitarist taught me his technique for playing in any mode in any key in any position on the fingerboard, and I'm still grateful to him.
  19. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001