Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How many people use PA cabinets in their rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nick Wagner, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    Is there any advantage/disadvantage to using a PA cabinet (ie: Community, JBL, etc) over a Bass-specific cabinet? Im thinking of buying a Community Cab from a friend who owns a local sound equipment rental business, and Im wondering if I could just use it as my bass cab.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Also, could anyone give me any info on a Samick 6000 power amp? I cant find anything on it on ebay, google, or here.

2. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    Another question, does anyone have any specs on Community CXS57?

3. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    i think i read that john turner uses yamaha PA subs.

4. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    Thanks cods, anyone else here that uses em?

Is this the cods from MX? Im SporksBassist, heh.

5. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    Ok, heres the deal.

I can get a Community CXS57 for $250, and a Sammick 6000 amp for $100. I would be using my Ampeg B2R for a preamp. Would this work as a bass rig?

6. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yes probably. Try it out first and make sure you like the tone. Look at it closely and make sure everything works right, rental gear gets used pretty hard sometimes.

7. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    'tis me! :hyper:!

8. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    http://www.loudspeakers.net/files/specs/new/csx57_s2.pdf

Heavy (122 lbs.)

A rack will sit on it nicely (26" wide, 18" deep), but it might be a little narrow for an integrated head.

This size may also make it a problem to move. It's kinda bulky. Might not fit in the backseat or trunk of a small car.

Doesn't handle a whole lotta watts (300w RMS), but it is very efficient (102db) so it oughta get pretty loud. It's gonna be kinda weak in the lows, though. It may have a good bark/punch/cut through kinda sound, but it will not do the thick luxurious lows at all.

It looks quite impressive, but I have a hard time understanding why anyone would even build a 2x15 cab that only handles 300 watts. (Pay no attention to the "program power" spec of this or any cabinet. This is a marketing ploy that is basically meaningless.)

Not a bad deal for the price, though. Not spectacular, but not bad. Personally, if I had to rely on specs alone, I'd pass on it. But if you can give it a thorough try before you buy, by all means do. It may work very well for hearing yourself in a loud, dense mix.

9. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    That Samick amp isn't a very good match for that cab. That's a 4 ohm cab, and that power amp cannot be bridged into a load lower than 8 ohms. You could only use one channel of the amp with this cab. 300 watts of power is OK since that is the RMS rating of the cab, but to get as much as you can out of it you should run 2x the RMS. Just be careful to avoid clipping. Clipping it a little won't immediately smoke anything, just don't keep going when things sound bad - back off the volume until it sounds clean.

Aside from that, I'd be pretty hesitant to use any power amp that won't bridge to 4 ohms. That indicates very marginal construction.

10. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    ......and to answer your original question, I have used PA gear for my bass rig in the past. Cerwin-Vega, 2 1x15 + horn tweeter, plus 2 front loaded 1x18's. A lot of times I used just one of each.

Sounds great, very high-fi, nice thick lows.

Pain in the ass to haul around. Pickup truck and dolly ownership required.

11. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    Thanks alot for all the info guys, its very much appreciated!

So if I got this cab, would I be better off just running my B2R through it?