1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How many Rickenbacker 4001/3 users were influenced by this dynamic combo - BE HONEST!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gibenbackerbass, Sep 29, 2009.

1. I personaly believe Chris Squire & even Jimmy Page may have been influenced to some degree by these gentelman's use of these fine instruments. ;)

Please share your thoughts. I know you'll have something interesting to say. :D

Oh, sorry for the lame introduction. :meh:

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    How old are you? Seriously...Raspberries came along after both Zep and Yes.

Cool band with bad timing, they were British Invasion revivalists when everyone wanted to hear heavier stuff.

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, these guys had their first album in '72. by then both zeppelin and yes had at least 4 albums out (yes had 5). they were hardly influential, more likely -influenced- by yes and zep.

my uncle had their first album, i remember being a little guy of about 5, looking at it and being amused.

4. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I read this with my...hungry eyes...doo doo doo

5. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    The Raspberries were certainly one of the premiere proponents of what would eventually be known as "Powerpop". A great sound. Great songwriting. Great playing. And a great frontperson in the form of Eric Carmen. They basically had it all, but at the wrong time. A real pity. American artists who attempted to keep the British Invasion flame alive at that time (the early 1970's) had a rough go of it. But, at least we still have their music to appreciate all these years later.

As was stated already, Chris Squire and Jimmy Page could not really have been influenced by this combo, as they had already been setting trends of their own for several years prior to this. In fact, just the opposite was true. The Raspberries, and other bands of their ilk, were heavily influenced by the Brits. Other American bands, such as Big Star, had the right idea, but at the wrong time.

But, definitely thanks for posting the link to that clip. The Mike Douglas Show was a TV staple in our household while I was growing up. He frequently had great musical guests. Plus, he had one of the most stupefying hair helmet toupees in the biz!

6. vanscoy

vanscoy

Nov 30, 2007
    It is still an awesome song... but I think you are scraping the bottom of the rare Rickenbacker video barrel lately.

7. Watching that clip makes me realize how far sound mixing has come on television. Eric Carmen's voice is the only thing not being pantomimed there. Too bad, search YouTube a little and you'll find some all-live clips that show these guys could definitely cut it live. "Go All The Way" is one of the tastiest pieces of powerpop bubblegum candy ever.

8. humpy thumb

humpy thumb

Jul 23, 2005
    Sydney Australia
    Warwick bass forum moderator.
    To the OP.
    Do you really feel the need to start a thread for every youtube video you watch asking whatever has crossed your mind?
    Sorry to sound harsh,but man,it's wearing thin imho.

9. ...Just the ones that I find interesting. :bassist: :D

10. I get the joke now. Good one.

And a tip of the hat to The Raspberries is always refreshing.

11. Excellent!!!!

You know, I'm sort of surprised no one has noticed and remarked that the album cover Mike D. holds up at the beginning of the clip is NOT the album which contains the song, "Go All the Way." I know because I have both albums! The album that has that song is the one where the four band members are poised standing, slightly out of focus, with the famous 'scratch & sniff' sented sticked on the top.

Yea, the 70's :hyper:

12. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Sorry I missed the joke on this one. I feel like an idiot. Oh, well....

But, as was said before, any reference to The Raspberries is always a good thing. And, Mike Douglas too, for that matter. Both were class acts, in my opinion.

13. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    I was alive and playing music back then ... but damn I do not remember the Raspberries. Are they from a parallel universe where people like music that sucks?

14. Each band and its members made important contributions to the music world and are very different from each other. They, sometimes appeal to slightly differnt audiences, but were talented contrubutors to rock 'n roll.

The intended humor was that few individuals played the Gibson EDS 1275. Jimmy Page had picked one up, I believe, sometime shortly after completing Stairway To Heaven. He used an acoustic 12-string on the recorded version if memory serves me correct. He knew he'd need an electric guitar to play live, as he would require both a 12 & 6 string electric, and had Gibson make him one. If you look at the production of the instrument you will see it was out-of-commission for a number of years. This is what I've read.

The individual in the Rass. is good, but no Jimmy Page. My intention was to share good music by a good band whose member happened to be using the EDS 1275, although, not in the same fashion as Jimmy.

I'm glad you enjoyed the clip. That was my primary intention and tpo see someone using the beloved 4-string Rickenbacker of course.

Rock on... :bassist:

15. ...especially one which prohibits such behavior.

You are intitled to your opinions, and please remember that Talkbass.com has explicit rules pertaining to proper and prescribed behavior.

Many people like this band. It's unfortunate that you don't.

Please refrain from the negativity that is so apparent in your comment.

Thank you.