how many $$$'s?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by punkfunkfreak, Jul 25, 2002.

1. 100-500

15 vote(s)
  2. 500-700

23 vote(s)
  3. 700-1000

27 vote(s)
  4. 1500-2000

12 vote(s)
  5. 2000+

10 vote(s)
  6. 4.392 carrots and a head o'cabbage

1 vote(s)
  1. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    How much do you reckon you would have to spend on a bass before you can call it decent?

Not interested in arguements about how good expensive basses are and how crap cheap ones are or vice versa.

Juts wondering how much you can spend before you reckon spending anymore wouldnt be worth it.

i dunno....go vote...:cool:
  2. What about if you only have a washtub with a broom handle and a string on it??? :p

3. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    how did u see that? The room i keep that in has no windows. :eek:
  4. ...I see many things.... just ask Eric. :p

5. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    thats only cos eric enjoyes showing you those things...;)

but then again, it wouldnt be eric otherwise would it!

6. hmmm speaking of which Eric! you owe me twenty dollars for last months "favours" ;)

7. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    he hasnt had twenty dollars since i stole.... *ahem* won that trophy over him and spanky. :p

ne-way, back to topic, mine cost 300 pounds sterling, and i couldnt ask for more. Seriously.
  8. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    How much? None. But you'd probably get arrested before you could gig with it.:D

A P-bass is decent. Decent is what you like.
  9. Well, my Yamaha RBX260F was only $340, and that's Canadian money, so not much.
  10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Stupid poll, really. I've seen "decent" basses for $200 and basses that were 10-15 times that much and weren't "decent". It depends on the bass and the user.

What does this prove?
  11. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    These are two different things. For your first question, I'd probably answer about $200. For the second one, I'd have to answer about $1200-$1500.
  12. Lemme see...

I don't even own a bass that retails for more than $300. So I voted for $100-$500.

My Essex will go from a $120 bass to a ~$400 in the not too far future, J-retro preamp, and new pick ups.

My Squier was $150, soon to be fitted with some quarter pounders, pushing it over the $200 mark.

Spending anything else on those two is getting to be overkill. Once you upgrade the pick ups, pots, wires, bridge, pickguard, neck, and tuners, the only stock thing you've got is the body.
  13. Punkfunk, you gotta start locking your doors better. And yes, I see many things.

Don't worry man, I'll pay you soon.

Rock on
  14. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001 for $200.

and polls would be totally useless if they didnt depend on our individual opinions.

Just thought itd be interesting to see how much the bassists here would spend in the search for a bass that does what they want it to. Not every thread has something to prove y'know.
  15. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I would say 500-700 would get you a pretty nice bass. Not a top of the line, but a really nice bass that you could use as a main ax. For a pro level bass that you could play for a lifetime, I would say about 1K.

Personally, once you pay more than 2K for a bass, you are no longer paying for quality, but are paying for the woods and the fact that the bass is hand made. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I don't think a 3K bass is any better quality, sound or feel wise, than a $1500 bass.

That's just my opinion though.
  16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    No, not vote for $200. The point was that there is NOT one definitive answer. I've seen $200 junk and $200 decent. Not all $200 basses are decent. There's not a chance of just being one answer, but maybe thats just my opinion.
  17. Sprinkler

Sprinkler [account disabled]

Jul 31, 2002
    i voted 500-700. there you already have nice basses, with very nice sound so it wont get much better on sound IMO. i think above that price class is only for 6 strings, neckthru's, exotic woods, active pick-ups... etc

i wouldnt go higher than that(maybe if we ever play on a festival) cuz i have the urge to trash my basses :p
  18. Skavenger

May 26, 2002
    I voted $700-1000 and above. In that range people start using better woods, electronics, strings etc. I would say that $2000-2200 is the most the most I would pay for a brand new bass cause above that price you're just paying for fancy schmancy gold things and, of course, the brand logo(Which is made in silver and diamonds and sells for as much as a "normal" bass).

I payed $1300 for my bass.
  19. i put 700-1000, not to expensive, so its not impossible to get, and it would just be a hunk of crap(like MOST cheap basses/guitars) but im also talking in canadian money... my bass was $850