How Many Songs for Auditions

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jmac, Jul 7, 2008.

1. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Lancaster, Pa
    I'm looking for a second project; so I have to audition again. Some of the bands want to learn 6 or 7 songs for an audition. Well if I just just audition for three bands that is twenty four songs I would have to learn.

I told all of the bands that I will learn four songs, at most, and explained why.

I'm waiting to hear back from them.

What do y'all think? How many songs do you learn for an audition?

2. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I'd have no problem learning 6-7 songs, depending on what type of songs they are. If they are typical Rock covers, it shouldn't be too hard to learn them. In the worst case scenario, you spent more time playing bass, learned new tunes, and expanded your skills.

I wouldn't try to explain why I would only learn 4 though. They may take that as indication of a slow or unwilling learner. And if they really want you to do learn 6-7 songs, and you think it's a stretch, then it might not be a gig for you. You may need to learn 40 songs for a gig in a week, and if 24 seems like too much, then reconsider whether it's a gig that suits your schedule.

3. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    6 x 3 = 24. Hmmm... My abacus disagrees. :meh:

4. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Lancaster, Pa
    OMG did I really type that. lol. I won't tell you what my day job is. lol.

5. It depends on the type of songs, and how much time you have to prepare. If it is a cover group (and you are experienced in playing cover tunes), you probably know a few of them already. 6-7 of these types of songs in a week isn't completely unreasonable (unlike the other post, where they wanted the guy to learn 17 original songs).

If you're learning orginal songs consisting of 20-minute prog rock suites without charts, than that is a different story.

It doesn't matter to the band you are auditioning for that you are also auditioning for other bands. They just care about their band (and rightfully so).

6. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    If they can't figure it out [you are the guy/not the guy] in 4 songs, they aren't going to figure it out in 6 or 7.

7. I've been through the same thing recently -- looking for a second project. Despite knowing several hundred songs, it always seems that they want me to learn four to six songs in less than a week. Not that it's a stretch or not worth the time to do so. But, as you mention, it adds up pretty quickly. So I've tried to go on the offensive of recent. Before we get to the part of identifying songs to do, I'll send a list of a couple hundred songs that I know pretty well. More often than not, there's enough overlap to get through an introductory rehearsal without anyone having to log too much time in the woodshed. Just a thought...

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Zero. I show up at an actual gig or rehearsal; they throw their book at me, or sometimes we use one of mine, and we play. It works or it doesn't, game over. Typically in these situations I get a set or so to make my case.:cool:

I realize this has little value to those of you who play covers outside of the jazz world, but you asked...:bag:

9. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    +1

Likewise here. Jazz groups often "audition" by hiring a bassist as a side-man for a relatively low profile gig.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021