1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How many songs have you learned on bass since you started?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Busker, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    I mean, about how many? I figure most people will not have been keeping count, just curious.

I've been playing under two years. I've learned about 130 or so songs so far. But that's going up. I'm learning material for a new band right now.

That doesn't mean I can play all of them at the present time. A lot of those I'd have to refresh my memory on. You know, you learn a song because you need to, then you move on to another band or whatever and don't play it again for a long time...

2. PINBENDER

PINBENDER

Jan 20, 2008
    INDIANA
    Only 4 full songs ,a few partials.only been practicing less than a year...but im trying

3. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I've been playing nine months and have about fifty full songs "at the ready."

4. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Keep going, it'll get easier. Did you play guitar or anything else before you started bass? Because I think it helps to have played guitar or some other instrument before.
    I played guitar for too long before I took up bass.

5. hundreds and hundreds here......

6. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    Well, my iTunes library is close to 10,000 songs, and I probably know about a third of them, so...:eek:

7. lavmonga

lavmonga Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    I've been playing for over 10 years, I can almost play the main riff in "Sunshine of Your Love" and "Higher Ground."

;)

8. I rip a mean Hang on Sloopy and Some kind of Wonderful - all the rest is Mad Improvising Skillzzzzzzzz :D

9. I learn them and forget them...I can make up my own bass line and twenty years later remember it. Some bass lines like Geddy lee's are so melodic they stick in your head, so I guess I'm a melodic guy too.

10. PINBENDER

PINBENDER

Jan 20, 2008
    INDIANA
    Im 32 and never played anything before.just woke up and wanted to play bass. i am realy stoked about it.ill keep practicing,i am a slow learner though thanks.

11. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I dont think I've ever learned anything correctly from beginning to end. I've been playing for like 10+ years.

12. Jonny B

Jonny B

Nov 5, 2006
    WI
    Hundreds... and a couple more hundred I suppose. Been playing for 20+ years.

13. Lets see...
    I know all Marilyn Manson songs, no challenge there
    Almost all of Type O Negatives stuff, little more tricky...
    And now im working on Primus, I just finished "My Name is Mud" and "Tommy the Cat"

So, a couple hundred

14. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    Like, learining other people's songs as in not creating youur own? If your not including the ones I created by myself. I personally don't have the patience to learn other people's songs. Maybe if I were in a cover band, but not otherwise. I just personally don't like learning other people's songs...:meh:

15. I have been playing for almost 5 years and I can play one song from start to finish and thats "Dancing Madly Backwards" by Captain Beyond! Mostly because a friend of mine challenged me to learn how to play a full song so I went and did. That being said there is one damn fill I don't know HOW to play in the song because I have an mp3 version thats a little low grade quality and can't pick out what hes playing but I just improvise my own god damn fill.

That being said I can play countless sections and riffs of songs that I like. I picked up an instrument because I felt a need to create so when I play thats what I do.

People tell me I should learn other people's songs more but when I listen to other people's music I don't feel like learning theirs; I feel like writing something cool too.

16. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    I guess around 50 for me :)

17. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    There's about a thousand mp3's in my computer.
    I'd say about 95% of them are of songs I've needed for gigs at one time or another.

18. mikethecannibal

mikethecannibal

Jan 19, 2008
    erie pa
    about 4 or 5, i like to write my own songs personally

19. Here's another question along the same lines.
    How many songs have you attempted to learn but never really mastered well enough to play publicly?

I have about 100 tunes that I play along with on my computer. There are about 8 that I feel I will not be able to play anytime soon. They are either too complex, too fast or didn't originally employ a bass (i.e. probably used a synthesizer).

20. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007

Hmmm...

I can think of two immediately. Already Gone by the Eagles. I can play it, but I've never mastered it, never performed it live. Its a busy bass line. And I'd better get it down. The new band might be doing that one.

The other is In The Light, Led Zeppelin. I've got the first half of it down, but never learned the second half of the song. When I play part of it though, people always ask "What is that?" Its a cool song. I don't think many bands do that one live though. Never heard of a cover band doing it.

When I thought of this thread, I didn't consider the people who write their own stuff. Sorry about that.