1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

how many songs in your band's repertoire? thoughts?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bayou_Brawler, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    How many songs are in your band's repertoire??

I'm asking becasue I recently heard Mick Jagger has played "Satisfaction" 457,000 times SINCE he was 40.....or something like that.

I think that may drive me insane. of course when you have thousands of people getting into it and hot babes and drugs waiting back stage it makes it more tollerable i assume.

My band gigs twice a week (for the last few years) and we do maybe 40 originals and 20 covers. not to mention we improv A LOT. Now even this situation gets a little boring for me sometimes.

How many tunes are in your band's repertoire? Does it get old for you? when does it get old? how do you keep it fresh?

i should also note crowd response is a big part for me...if you have a big crowd REALLY into it it doesn't matter what i'm playing i'm just feeling the energy...but 40% of our gigs are not barn burners...

:confused:

2. Around 60 or 70 I'd say. It doesn't get old as we mix it up a lot.

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    My primary band's book is ~260 songs at the moment. Probably half of those are ready to go at any given time. When they get old, we work on the other ones. When it all gets old, I play gigs with some other bands. The nice thing about mostly playing jazz is that everyone brings a different take to the same tunes.

My bandmates have a little habit of putting new ones in without telling me until we're on the gig. That keeps it fresh all right. Nothing like hearing three choruses and then: "Charlie, bass solo!" :cool:

4. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Inactive

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Somewhere around 150 last time we counted. A typical show is about 2/3 our own tunes and the rest selections from the depths of the gui****'s brain.

5. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    We had just about 200, and I think that was way too many.

6. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder encridublee smatr

Nov 22, 2004
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Well, I'm in the process of getting a somewhat new lineup up to speed in my band.

As a cover band, I think it would be ideal to have 120 or more tunes minimum so you can mix it up and cater to the crowd. (ie:dance, classic rock, top 40).
    80 tunes would suffice but be less than ideal.
    45 tunes would be the bare minimum as thats about the minimum you can stretch out an evening's bar/pub gig.

Figure 10-12 tunes per 45 minute set per 4 sets per evening.

3 hours playing (180 mins) averaging 4 mins per song = 45 songs.

Of course, it all depends on the amount of time you are expected to play and the length of the tunes and the amount of BS and noodling you do between songs.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Heh... we've got about 8 songs we can play live :meh: 15ish total.

My cover band I was in, probably 100 or more.

Oops forgot to say, the shortest song we have is about 4 minutes long, the longest is about 10, the rest are about 7-8. So we've got a decent amount of music... we just can't play all of it live yet. (long story)

8. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    We have 15 songs ready and 5 more in the works. I think we'll be adding one of the new songs tonight, so hopefully by tomorrow we'll be at 16 with 4 in the works. Right now we have about 75 minutes of music. IMO - Not too bad for a band that's only been together for 2 months.

9. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Well that's a fine bit of hyperbole - he'd have had to perform that tune 50 times a day each day over the last 25 years to have done that.

Now, if my music had been played (not performed) that often and I was on the receiving end of those royalties, I'd never get bored of that! :hyper:

But to answer your question - we have about 75-80 tunes in our repertoire and yes it gets boring playing some of those tunes, esp. if it's a shuffle in A.

DD

10. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    jazz guys don't count you guys can just play anything....:)

11. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Heh...I wish! But I do get the 'luxury' of being able to lean on the charts on my gigs.

I used to play in some Dead-ish jam bands, and a roots/blues kind of band as well. The rule of thumb was always 40 songs before the first gig, maybe triple that within a few months. Gets easier and easier to achieve the more times you go through it, of course.

12. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    around 75 at the moment

13. VanillaO

VanillaO Poop?

Oct 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    My band has like 15 songs or so (only been together 5 months and we like quality stuff), but while some of them are like 3 minutes long, the majority run over 5 minutes, and up to the 8-9 minute mark... plus we jam out on a few songs for like 15-minutes sometimes... You don't really need 200 songs imo

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021