1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

How many songs must you like before you decide you like/start paying attention to the band?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by RBrownBass, Dec 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    ...and does it matter what that song sounds like?

I'm pretty easy about that, or was when I was still buying new music (tapered off starting in late 80s/early 90s). If I heard one song I liked enough, and that song sounded like it was part of your sound*, I'd be looking for your album the next day or so.

*some songs can be a one-off like Hole-Hearted by Extreme while others are more reflective of the artist's usual music, like, anything by Kenny G

2. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    One usually does it.

RBrownBass likes this.
  3. 2-3 songs to really like & follow a band.

Only takes one song to ignore a band though....

RBrownBass likes this.
  4. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I haven't made rules up for this yet

Bob_Ross, RBrownBass, gebass6 and 2 others like this.
  5. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Queens, NY
    One is enough for me

RBrownBass likes this.
  6. steve_ss

steve_ss Shiny, let's be bad guys. Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2016
    Southern NJ, USA
    One good song and I'll check out some of their other music. There have been a few bands where I liked one song and when I heard more, I found I liked the other stuff better than the one that got me started. And who doesn't like a good one hit wonder sometimes too.

RBrownBass likes this.
  7. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    One song that I really like and I'd usually have to check out other stuff they done.

If it proves to be a one off thing I usually stop paying attention to anything else by that band/artist.

I know a few bands/artists that only made one or two songs that I am really into, and some that made only one album that I really dig, but I also know bands that only did a few songs or a single album that doesn't really speak to me and where the rest of their material is brilliant.

To come to a point where I would call me a regular fan of a band or artist I would say they at least have to have made one album that I love from start to end, if they managed to do that they can be sure I'd check out all the stuff they made and are making, unless it was just a phase.

Like I am a huge fan of Leonard Cohen's first 3 albums from start to end, which are pretty much held in a more traditional folk style, and after that period I can only say I truly like a few of his songs.

I'd still have to check out his new album though, which I haven't heard yet.

I was also begining to loose hope for Low, one of my all time favorite bands, since they released a couple of albums that was a departure from their usual style and where I would only like a few songs on each album, but their new album Ones and Sixes is a masterpiece!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
    RBrownBass likes this.
  8. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    tootsie-pop-owl.

RBrownBass likes this.
  9. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Funny, I started tapering off buying new music around the late 80s-early 90s too. Those were my college years, I lost interest in pop and rock and got into folk and swing. By the late 90s, though, I started feeling like I was in a rut, just listening to the same dozen albums over and over again, and starting checking out new bands just to see what was out there. It was just a trickle for a long time, but I got hooked on listening to bass lines and finally got really aggressive about finding new music when I started playing bass myself, about 2009 I guess that was.

Anyway, I'm not sure how to answer the question. One good song makes me wonder if they have any more or if it was a fluke. But I'll buy a CD if I really like one song from a group (yes I still buy CDs - sometimes my internet connection goes down so I don't like relying on streaming, and hard drives can crash so I don't like having downloads exclusively). If I like the CD I'll buy their next one... I'm not sure at what point this counts as "paying attention" to the band, but maybe the tipping point is when they tour near me, do I think it's worthwhile to go to a show? That would mean more than a single song I like, that means an expectation that they have a repertoire worth hearing live.

I went with my daughter to see the Last Shadow Puppets a few months ago. That's a case where I really didn't have any of their songs in mind, I'd listened to their first CD through and it was fine but no particular song really struck me. But one of the singers is the lead from the Arctic Monkeys, whom I had seen and liked, so I had a pretty high confidence level it would be worth seeing - and it was. They didn't play any Arctic Monkeys songs but it was a great show.

RBrownBass likes this.
  10. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    I didn't know there were rules.

And Hole-Hearted bears a resemblance to More than Words--so I wouldn't call it a one-off

RBrownBass likes this.
  11. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    One or two.
    And yes it matters what the song sounds like.
    But most of the musicians that I listen to don't do wide musical swings of style(Hard,driving technical tune,then a sappy ballad).
    So most of what they do is not going to disapoint me.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    RBrownBass likes this.
  12. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Thanks for the reminder! I actually went to an Extreme concert in the 90s or so (they were opening for ZZ Top), and should not have forgotten More Than Words. I recall the posters and marketing for that band, with the shirtless pos(eur, tur)ing and the Washburn with no finish on it and the write-ups in Guitar Player, and then their two biggest hits turn out to be something Suburban Mom and the Sixth Graders (there's a band name for ya) sing along to in her minivan...