How many string tryouts before found the #1 set of strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by semborg, Sep 19, 2005.

1. 1 The strings on my bass (tell which they are)

0 vote(s)
  2. 2 tryouts

0 vote(s)
  3. 3 tryouts

4. 4 tryouts

5. 5 tryouts

0 vote(s)
  6. 6 tryouts

7. 7 tryouts

8. 8 tryouts

0 vote(s)
  9. more than 8 tryouts

1. I have tried many types of strings but never really found the perfect string. I have tried Elixir (045-100)and(040-95), Daddario Coated 045-100, Daddario Chromes 045-100, Daddario Halfrounds 045-100 and 040-095.

Which type/brand of strings do you think I shall try out next?

How many types/Brands of strings did you try before you finally found the strings that works well to you?
  2. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    I'm still trying...

On my warwick corvette standard:
    DR MM High-Beams
    DR Lo-Riders
    GHS boomers, Lights/Regular/Heavy
    Fodera something
    Roto Sound flats
    Fender Tapewounds
    D'adarrio XL's
    etc. etc. etc.

I have a set of 1/2 rounds on there now that sound pretty good. I'm thinking that its more I just like to try different sets, and that I'm not really looking for the "perfect" string.

Hmmmm...string gas perhaps?

As a side note, I found the right set for fretless sixer the first time...TI Flats :D
  3. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    DR Hi-Beams (Winners!)
  4. Two sets on my 60s classic J. First XLs, now Chromes. The flats will stay on for a while.

On my '78 P, eight, nine...I've lost count. Plus three sets of pickups (originals were dead). I feel like Goldylocks -- too trebly, too middy, too muddy. Wish I could find the "just right." I think Labella DTF are the best candidate for next string. Anyone want to trade a set for some new or "gently used" strings?
  5. i'm still tryin strings. there's so many out there, i find it hard to be content, and satisfied, knowing you found "THE STRING"

how can you find "THE STRING" when you haven't tried all of em?