Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How Many Strings Do You Break?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Petary791, Jan 30, 2006.

1. 1 in the past year, and it was my first ever.

14 vote(s)
    42.4%
  2. 1 in the past year.

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  3. I break strings within weeks/few months.

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    How many strings do you guys break? I've broken an E, A, D, and G. I think it has a lot to with my technique (EXTREMELY aggressive, but hey I love the sound.) Normally people are like, "You're retarded if you break bass strings," so i'm seeing if i'm the only one.

I would imagine that guys like Geddy and John Myung and Timmy C go through lots of strings too, right?

2. I rarely ever break strings ever. but i was into my show and i have light strings tuned to low on my bass i dont use for low tuning (clearly) and snaped my e string clean off.

3. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I used to break them all the time when I played with a pick. I played so fast and right by the bridge, that the low B couldn't take the stress. Then I went back to fingerstyle, and playing closer to the neck and Voila. I haven't broken a string since (I guess I just jinxed myself for this saturday's show!)

4. You never gave an option for "Zero broken strings"

I used to break them when I was starting out, as I developed an aggressive style before anything else, but I haven't broken a string in over five years...and I beat the hell out of my poor Rick at times..

.... it gives a different sound when you are bludgeoning it...more so than my active bass does..but I really thrash the strings at times, and wonder how the heck people break them all the time??

5. I have NEVER broken a string. I've been playing 20 years - I have been playing medium gauge DR Low Riders for 15 years and D'Addarios / Blue Steels since I started and never had that problem.

And no I don't play like a girl.

What brand of strings do you use? That may be an issue...

6. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    I've never broken a string. Probably never will either, as I have a light touch and prefer to let the amp do it's job. :)

AuG

7. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    For some reason I break the A-string on my jazz bass about once a month. It always breaks down by the bridge, so I'm thinking of getting a new bridge. :meh:

8. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I don't think that breaking strings has anything to do with technique. Most of the times it's the result of a defective bridge because the saddles become sharp at the contact point with the string and then's when problems start. Maybe I don't play as hard as you, but I have a strong attack anyway. I used to have that problem with my Washburn Axxess (only happened once with my Carvin IIRC and hasn't happened with the Bongo yet). Even broke a B string! The solution: Put a small piece of plastic or rubber between the string and the saddle. I remember I used pieces of cable cover and it worked. I was afraid that it was going to affect the tone, but didn't notice any difference. So if you want "lifetime" strings, replace (or fix) your bridge or maybe try my approach.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA

10. I have to respectfully disagree with you there, Alvaro.

I think in some cases it DOES have to do with technique. I, like Petary, play aggressively and there have been times I've broken strings because of it. I've broken all strings from playing to hard (at different times ofcourse). I think I've only broken an E once or twice though. While I think A-G I've broken atleast 5-6 times in my 4 years of playing.

11. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

1 in 6 years and it wasn't even completely my fault.

12. no 0 broken strings option? to me its impossible to break a bass string, but i could imagine it hurts like hell. i dont even know how people could manage to break one

13. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

...in 30 years.

14. Bass strings usually just "unravel". if one were too break it would sure as hell hurt but it wouldn't be as severe as a Guitar strings damage would be...

15. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    A combination of aggressive playing style and a poorly designed bridge will break you quite a few strings. I broke a handful on my MIM Jazz (I was digging in quite hard back then), but haven't broken a single one on any other bass I've played. So that would be zero broken strings in the past 5 years.

16. kirin

kirin

Jan 11, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I had the same issue with a bass I was using when I first started playing. A trusted local luthier filed the saddle down a bit then showed me how to set the intonation, and I never have broken a string since on any bass I've owned.

17. rowyco

rowyco

Sep 24, 2004
    Traverse City, MI
    On the same day a few weeks ago I broke two different strings on two different basses. And I don't really play all that hard.

18. never, and i pluck so hard people give me dirty looks.

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've been playing over 30 years and have never broken a bass string!

20. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I've broken a few when I started out about 15 years ago. Havent broken one now for years, longer than I can remember anyway.

I broke the string post while tuning my double bass recently tho, does that count?!