Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How many strings Have you broken?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Cogno, Jun 27, 2001.

1. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    South
    I have been playing Bass since 1964. I Have only broken one string. It was a Fender Black Nylon D string on a Fender Coronado bass in 1970. It doesn't count if it broke when you were changing strings, only after it.

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I've never broken a string.

3. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    South
    PS: It might be woth mentioning if you play with a Pick or not to see if that increases breakage. I play with my fingers 100%.

4. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    You must play very delicately. I break strings constantly. Its a way of life for me. I change strings quite often now to ensure I minimize breaking them during shows, cause when that happens it totally sucks a big bag of rotten worm droppings.

Fingers 100%

5. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    South
    I play differently depending on the song. I do very little thumb work. I have been known to play very hard on occasion when I have drank over my limit in a slease club or Frat part.

6. after playing for six months i broke 4 strings. the first orginal pair of ibanez string, ernie ball slinkys, fenders, and now elixirs but i haven't managed the break one of the elixirs yet.

7. 0

8. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I have been playing for over 6 years and have broken two strings. Also, relman, you stinker, your signature is my quote! ;)

9. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    zip. zero. none. nada.

10. Newsted

Newsted

Jun 24, 2001
    Greece(athens)
    let me see i play bass for 2,5 years i lay with my finger and about 3 ours the day and i have break 4 E(1 i used it like an arrow string to throw pen to my gutarist)3 A, 1D and 5 or 6 G

11. none. i broke a G string when i first started playing, tried to tune it too high :rolleyes: but none from playing, and i play pretty hard sometimes.

what's weirder is, i play guitar too, and i absolutely POUND it when i play punk, and i've never broken a string.

12. I've broken so many strings I had to buy the stock in GHS I've since moved on to Elixars.
    We use to play Tom Sawyer, and the 1st note is an E so I played open 7 9 9 for the chord and raked the strings God what an incredible sound, but low and behold, I would normaly break the E, tons of times

13. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    One. About twenty years ago, when I got my first bass, I tuned it an octave high accidentaly, and broke one of the strings.

14. I have broken 2 strings, only from tuning my G up to a C (It doesn't work)

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've never broken a bass string in over 25 years of playing. I have also played guitar at various times and the only time I broke a string was on a "borrowed" guitar - the guitarist in the band I was in and I swopped instruments, as he couldn't play the arpeggios on one song I had written.

I later looked at the guitar and found that there was something wrong with the bridge which was leaving an exposed sharp edge. I asked him about it and he said he was breaking strings all the time - so we filed it down - no problem!

Having looked at a lot of basses/guitars since, I think the persistent string-breaking problem, can usually be traced to cheap or badly setup bridges - especially mouldings with rough edges.

16. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    4 or 5

Almost all of them on the cheap starter bass I used to have, 1 or 2 because they were too old and worn.

17. None

:D

18. Traveler

Traveler

Jun 26, 2001
    Greenwood, AR.
    Playing for 2.5 years, never broken a string. I do a lot of thumb work, especially playing octaves, fifths, and the like. But I mostly use my index, middle, and ring finger.

19. Broke a E while playing More Human Than Human. One note song..and I broke the string you play it on..doh.

I've popped a couple G's also. But that was when I was using EB's. I've gone to GHS, and I hadn't broke a string in about 3-4 years. Then we're sitting around one night, playing simple, soft little songs. Keeping it quiet during a practice night..and then there goes the G.

It's okay. One of the guitarists I play with breaks a string about 50% of the time when we are playing live. I love it. Not really.