How many strings Have you broken?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Cogno, Jun 27, 2001.

1. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    I have been playing Bass since 1964. I Have only broken one string. It was a Fender Black Nylon D string on a Fender Coronado bass in 1970. It doesn't count if it broke when you were changing strings, only after it.
  2. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I've never broken a string.
  3. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    PS: It might be woth mentioning if you play with a Pick or not to see if that increases breakage. I play with my fingers 100%.
  4. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    You must play very delicately. I break strings constantly. Its a way of life for me. I change strings quite often now to ensure I minimize breaking them during shows, cause when that happens it totally sucks a big bag of rotten worm droppings.

Fingers 100%
  5. Cogno

Cogno Guest

Jun 11, 2001
    I play differently depending on the song. I do very little thumb work. I have been known to play very hard on occasion when I have drank over my limit in a slease club or Frat part.
  6. after playing for six months i broke 4 strings. the first orginal pair of ibanez string, Ernie Ball slinkys, fenders, and now elixirs but i haven't managed the break one of the elixirs yet.
  7. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I have been playing for over 6 years and have broken two strings. Also, relman, you stinker, your signature is my quote! ;)
  8. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    zip. zero. none. nada.
  9. Newsted

Jun 24, 2001
    let me see i play bass for 2,5 years i lay with my finger and about 3 ours the day and i have break 4 E(1 i used it like an arrow string to throw pen to my gutarist)3 A, 1D and 5 or 6 G
  10. none. i broke a G string when i first started playing, tried to tune it too high :rolleyes: but none from playing, and i play pretty hard sometimes.

what's weirder is, i play guitar too, and i absolutely POUND it when i play punk, and i've never broken a string.
  11. I've broken so many strings I had to buy the stock in GHS I've since moved on to Elixars.
    We use to play Tom Sawyer, and the 1st note is an E so I played open 7 9 9 for the chord and raked the strings God what an incredible sound, but low and behold, I would normaly break the E, tons of times
  12. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    One. About twenty years ago, when I got my first bass, I tuned it an octave high accidentaly, and broke one of the strings.
  13. I have broken 2 strings, only from tuning my G up to a C (It doesn't work)
  14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've never broken a bass string in over 25 years of playing. I have also played guitar at various times and the only time I broke a string was on a "borrowed" guitar - the guitarist in the band I was in and I swopped instruments, as he couldn't play the arpeggios on one song I had written.

I later looked at the guitar and found that there was something wrong with the bridge which was leaving an exposed sharp edge. I asked him about it and he said he was breaking strings all the time - so we filed it down - no problem!

Having looked at a lot of basses/guitars since, I think the persistent string-breaking problem, can usually be traced to cheap or badly setup bridges - especially mouldings with rough edges.
  15. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    4 or 5

Almost all of them on the cheap starter bass I used to have, 1 or 2 because they were too old and worn.
  16. Traveler

Jun 26, 2001
    Greenwood, AR.
    Playing for 2.5 years, never broken a string. I do a lot of thumb work, especially playing octaves, fifths, and the like. But I mostly use my index, middle, and ring finger.
  17. Broke a E while playing More Human Than Human. One note song..and I broke the string you play it on..doh.

I've popped a couple G's also. But that was when I was using EB's. I've gone to GHS, and I hadn't broke a string in about 3-4 years. Then we're sitting around one night, playing simple, soft little songs. Keeping it quiet during a practice night..and then there goes the G.

It's okay. One of the guitarists I play with breaks a string about 50% of the time when we are playing live. I love it. Not really.