How Many Strings have you Broken?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by X Wolf, Dec 26, 2005.

1. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

In the last 45 years of playing Bass I have broken only 2 strings. The first one was in 1969 at a rehearsal with my Ampeg AMB-1 Scroll Head and it was due to a string saddle set at too sharp an angle in combination with my pulling the "E" string a bit too hard.

The second one was in 1974 with my Rickenbacker 4001 and I still don't know exactly why, I wasn't playing all that hard so I think it was just a defective "A" string. It was exciting though because it broke during the encore at a concert and I had to do some very creative tuning really fast, LoL.

Not related to the string breakage, I soon after went back to playing my P-Basses and Scroll Head, just never warmed up to the Rick which I had only been playing for a couple of months. I should add that the Ampeg had Labella flats and the Rick had Rickenbacker brand flats.

So let us hear how many you have broken and any Broken String stories you might have!

2. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    None. None in my bassese after a year, none in the violas I've played (was what...4 years) and none of em went dead either...were always really close to staying in tune in periods of non-playingness.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've broken hundreds, due to my boiling them and using them until they break. I also broke quite a few until I discovered that the break angle on the bass with the Kahler whammy was way too severe.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    None, yet. I am going to do the denatured alcohol thing, so it shouldn't weaken the strings at all.
  5. MarztekMilita

Feb 10, 2005
    one. it was on my ibanez, and I had the Dean Markley MISFITS JO customs on. it happened right after my first gig. it was the
    D string.
  6. I used to break Es & As fairly regularly- before they went dead in fact. This was back in my punk rock years- I thought I was cool. :rollno: I don't think it was a setup issue; it happened on several different basses. I have since learned a bit :eyebrow: of control, & rarely break strings. I did lose the A a few weeks back, in the middle of the second of 3 church services. That kind of sucked.
  7. steve21

steve21 Banned

Two in my two years of playing. One within my first month due to stupid technique (slapping way to hard, I guess, i dunno exactly) and I broke the A.

Then a few months later I broke another A.

Ever since then I've broken no strings.
  8. None, and no guitar strings anymore either, despite changing them very infrequently. I've broken a few mandolin strings, and had a violin string snap on me while it was sitting in a corner in its case, though.
  9. ive broken 9 in 2 years... should i be worried?
  10. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Actually, I play guitar as well, and I have not broken a string in about 5 years!
  11. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    yea I broke strings like mad when I played guitar... but since switching to the low end I haven't ;-D
  12. None in over 30 years of playing, much of that time full time.
  13. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Only one Ernie Ball A string in the last 9 years.
  14. I occaisionally break guitar strings (once I was putting a top E string on and tuned it too high and it snapped and hit me right in my good eye (the one I'm not nearly blind in) - YEEOW! that could have been nasty, only hit the corner though so it just HURT and didn't actually do any damage!) I'm not a guitarist though, but I was never one of those who'd break strings every 5 minutes...

I've been playing bass for 5 and a half years and have never broken a string - I did have one go on me when the bass was lying under LOADS of rubbish and STUFF in my room though (it came partially unraveled right at the bridge saddle...mind you, there had been 3 guitars and one other bass lying on top of it for about 2 months...) :bassist:

I'm just REALLY nervous when people go on about breaking bass strings, coz I've had a GUITAR string hit me in the face and that hurt, but if that had happened with a BASS string then It'd hurt a HELLUVA lot more AND I'd be blind for the rest of my life
  15. Larry99

Larry99 Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    none. with almost 25 years of playing.
  16. sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    US Northeast
    Two in 12 years of playing, both times the D string, both times at the bridge saddle. Good thing both times the core wire broke but the windings kept it from whipping around... the thought of a flying bass string sure is scary.
  17. In almost 40 years of playing, I've broken 2 (GHS, G and A). Unfortunately, they broke the same night, same set, consecutive songs. Since that night, I never gig without a back-up. Fortunately, the songs were the last 2 in the set and I was able to run home and get another bass on our break as well as string up the ont with the broken strings.
  18. bad_andy

Sep 21, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Less than 5 in almost 14 years of playing, and the last was a faulty B string that snapped over the bridge saddle when I installed it. That one before that it was almost 7 ago.
  19. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I break about 4 or 5 strings a 35 years...I guess over 150.

That's life. I play pretty hard.
  20. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    When I was learning to pop I was breaking Gs about once every two months. My last set of boomers lasted 6 months till bizzarley the D broke whilst I was playing a sober fingerstyle piece :S. Anyway, I have Black Beauties on my bass now, hopefully these should last a very long time. I carry a supply of assorted single spare strings with me in case of emergencies, combined with my Planet Waves winder and cutter it means I can sort out any problem pretty fast, even if it happens during a gig (fortunatley not happened yet but I keep my emergency string change kit handy just in case).