Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

How many strings pt 2: four or more?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Aug 12, 2003.

How many strings pt. 2: four or more?

Poll closed Nov 10, 2003.
  1. I play four-string bass exclusively.

36 vote(s)
    30.3%
  2. I play a bass with five or more strings at least some of the time.

83 vote(s)
    69.7%
  1. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I am NOT trying to start a "4 versus more" war. Whatever number of strings you use is cool. I'm simply curious as to how many of us have taken the leap, at least some of the time, to 5 or more strings.

The other poll up top (what kinds of basses do you play?) doesn't answer the question because it is multiple choice. Currently 57% of the votes are for four stringers, but we don't know how many of those also play "more-string" basses.

P.S. If you play a bass with less than four strings, just vote for the four unless you also play a 5+ stringer! :D

2. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    One thing is for sure...any more than 6 strings on a bass is a waste of time!

enter: John Turner, stage right
    :D

depends on what style I would like to play. If I play classic rock covers, a 4 string should be more than sufficient. If I want to play jazz, I want a 5 or a 6. Of course I am still learning, so I don't play much of either one. :(

3. My 5 string works pretty well for most things, although it gets a little tight when I want to slap, but i seem to be able to play fast more easily with the strings closer together on a 5. Really though I hardly ever use the 5th string, but I've played a few charts where I needed it.

4. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I voted for the 5 string option. I play my Ray5 for everything that i don't play the upright for. A few charts in jazz band where written for either a Detuned 4 [down to C] or a 5 string as the song went down to the C below the staff. For show choir stuff IME the ability to throw a nice low Eb, Db, etc really fills up the chord nicely if it's the last hit of a song where you want it to be a really in-your-face sort of sound. I play a 5, my teacher plays a 4 and is really considering a 5 [i'm gonna let him borrow my Pilot Plus 5 i think next week so he can get a glimpse of what it's like]. Neither is better, just different. The main reason why i play 5 is because i can. That's all

5. I've said this before, but, for the record:

1) I used to swear by 4s, now it's 5s.

2) I feel resticted when I play my 4s now.

3) I play my 5s as if they were 4s with an added low string when needed. I rarely play the B string above the 5th fret.

4) I don't hang out on the B string.

5) Playing a 5er is like taking an extra $100 with you when you go out on the town; you don't have to spend it, but, it's nice to know it's there.

I've played a few 6ers, but, I don't see myself going over to a 6 anytime soon.

I could be wrong.

Mike

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I like my fours, fives and sixes. I also like my 12.

I probably play my fives the most.

7. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    My only bass has 4, and my next bass may well have only 4 also. It's all I need so far, but when JT gives me one of his 8 strings, I won't be complain! ;)

8. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I just happen to own fours. I have learned, however, that cheap 5's will prevent me from playing a 5 as their B string usually sucks. I just need to play a quality 5 before I would switch.

9. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I used to play 4's exclusively until I bought a cheap 5 string bass. I don't use the B often. Most of the time, I use the B string as a thumb rest but I do find the extra low string useful. If I had to choose, I'd prefer the 4 string bass because I find the wide strings spacing more comfortable and slapping on 4s are less tedious.

10. Currently 4's and a 6, but I will be playing 4's and 5's in the future(when I am not broke and in debt).

11. Your like 16, how can you be in debt ?

Anyway currently a 4. But If I got a 5 I would tune it EADGC.

12. I have one four stringed, and two five stringed.
    My four stringer is my beginner bass now w\o frets...I love the points Micheal Jewels stated about 5 stringed basses. I have a craving for playing a 6 stringer, but none have felt comfy in my hands...I love grabbing more into a 5er.
    I have no problem with a four stringed bass...honestly niether are exclusive for me.

anything about 6 strings seems excessive in my mind or for my pallet...but ah heck,a bass is a bass, so I wouldn't mind trying or messing around with 'em.

13. How can I be in debt? Having my parents forward me cash, and buying things and not paying for them up front.

14. just recently started playing my five string a lot. with my new band I really find some good uses for the low B. not the low ones. it is nice to not have to switch positions and be able to cover a full range of notes. I can play cool stuff real fast that way that I would have a hard time with if I had to drop down and hit the A on the E sting or something. but I will always rock with my 4 string too so I have good use for both.

15. You make it sound like you live alone in a apartment. Get a job, they are good :) Jobs for everyone !!!

16. rumplebunny

rumplebunny Guest

Jul 8, 2003
    Houston, TX
    I play 6 most of the time now. If I had the cash for it, I'd definitely be going the custom 7 and 8 string route! Gotta help put my wife through grad school first though. ;)

17. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I play 5's almost exclusively. If I had a 6 I would play it too. My old G&L 4 banger hasn't had much stroking in the past 13 or so years, only for when I need it's sound for recording. It sounds exceptional played with a pick into some overdrive. Ballsy.

I approach the 5 as a different instrument from the 4. At first, I too treated the B string as an afterthought, only for low notes. I quickly realized that by doing so, I was limiting what the 5 can do. It is amazing all the possibilities just the one extra string provides; new things that are useable in everyday playing. So free your mind from the 4 and approach the 5 as it's own entity and do the same when playing your 4. You will find, like I did, that you will get more from each that way. YMMV. :cool:

18. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    No less than 6...

Preferably 7 or 8..

;)

19. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    I started on a five and then I bought a six. Now I have four 4's. 2 fretted and 2 fretless.

20. moyo

moyo

Aug 1, 2003
    Hey!... the first bass was a 4 string!.
    Havin a 4S and make it sound like a thousand sounds beast is a very hard work!... look at Victor Wooten!, this guy is Thor and has a bass instead of a hammer. Obviously Jaco Pastorius is Odin XD!.

I belive playin 4strings is more dificult because of the less frets and strings, but still, the B string is absolutley dumb! I hate the sound of it, its too low!.

The C string is better than the B cuz it gives more harmonics to play with and u can also play a better melody.

Anyway, 4S 4me.