How many strings?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by shagEb, Apr 28, 2001.

1. 4 string bass

37 vote(s)
  2. 5 string bass

34 vote(s)
  3. 6 string bass

9 vote(s)
  4. other

3 vote(s)
  5. All

11 vote(s)
  1. shagEb

shagEb Guest

Apr 14, 2001
    USA, Polkville NC
    I was just wondering how many strings my fellow Bass Players prefer. I personally don't care,but when I'm playing out I only use my 5 Stings.I found that I could cover a wider range of song with out tuning down.But I'll play anything,well if you can call it playing.
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well..I own a four stringer...I AM getting a six. So I sorta consider my self a sixer.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I voted for 5 because that's what I play the most but I should have probably picked 'All'.

This kind of thread usually leads to many flames and a huge debate, BTW.
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

WHAT? They do not you ignorant shmuck! I go to Berklee, I know these things!;)

(Sorry...couldn't resist!:D:D:D)
  5. you don't have an option for 7! JT is gonna be po'ed :D (well, there is "Other," but i felt that needed to be said)

although i only own one bass and its a four stringer (my budget is too strict for my taste), i voted for all cause i love to play a 5s 6s and 7s whenever i get the chance.

i still haven't gotten the oppurtunity to play a one stringer :( :D
  6. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    I voted for 5..But I like my 4 only 4
    is my Englehardt upright...don't use it much..but
    I really like it!! I know... not the same but..
    It's cool!!

7. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    i voted for 5 cause i only have a five string. i dont feal comfortable with a 4. i wouldnt mind getting a 6 later down the road but i really dont have a use for it now.
  8. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I vote for 5, I haven't really tried sixers.

Many fives have nicer necks than their 4-string bros(Warwick Corvettes for example), plus the extended range. Six would be my preferred axe for it's range buy the neck might be too wide.
  9. dblbassted

Mar 21, 2001
    Memphis, Tn.
    Funny thing happened over the past year. I started playing my 5s a lot less and put hipshots on my 4s. Now, it doesn't bother me too much which ones I play. It's nice to have the spacing of a four and still be able to drop the bombs when necessary.
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Five is the number of strings. Count ye not to six, and seven is right out. Count ye neither to four, lest ye proceed immediately to five, and five shall be the number of strings. Or something like that.

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    Can I be cynical, I don't see why people want any more than 5. I mean, your supposed to be playing a supporting role in the band. Some people are starting to play 7string basses even 8 strings! How do u get your hand around the neck!!?
    Take up the harp!
    No offense.
  12. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    FLEABITE: JT handles his 7-8 strings pretty nicely :D
  13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i don't know about starting - i've only played 7 or more for the past 8 years.

thanks DM. :D
  14. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    5. Can't handle any more...anymore! 4 is too small for my hand.
  15. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    how do you get your hand round the fretboard?

Apr 13, 2001
    Kent, England.
    JT. that double neck thing u!
    Did u ever start on a 4 string?

...amazes me...
  18. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey fleabite

actually, i have fairly small hands, it's all in how you hold your neck.

i keep the neck at about a 45 degree angle, and keep my thumb at a bit lower than the center line. my fretting arm is bent at almost exactly a 90 degree angle - keeps my wrist close to straight, which minimizes the possibility of injuries to my wrist. i don't wear the bass very high, pretty much right at my belt buckle.

back in my 4 string days i played basses that had tighter spacing at the nut (ric 4001, fender jazz, pedulla f-less) so i got my custom basses built with a tight string spacing at the nut, to make the necks thinner.

other than that, it just takes practice.

and yeah, i played 4's for about 8 years before i went over to 7. i never played 5's or 6's.

as for the doubleneck, the top neck is a bit high and the bottom neck is a bit low, but otherwise it's just like my single necks. but heavier. :D

thanks for asking :)
  19. Who says you have to play the supporting role?
  20. Right you are, and it always makes me chuckle a little, because the debates almost always end up
    with the same conclusion...
    BTW, there is already a good discussion on this in Jeff Berlin's Forum.