1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

How Many SVT's Do You Think Have Been Sold Since 1969?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JimmyM, May 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd say at least 5 or 6.

Been pondering this question tonight. We will likely never know, as the records of Unimusic, Magnavox, and MTI are seemingly gesphincto. The only thing I know is that Bill Hughes, the co-inventor of the SVT, said that before he left Ampeg in the mid-70's, they had sold many thousands every year after initially expecting to sell fifty or sixty to the name bands of the day.

That was 48 years ago, and in that time, the SVT has been the only bass amp in constant production. There was a time in the 80's where SVT's didn't sell quite like they did in the 70's, but it picked back up in the 90's and remains pretty strong.

I'm going to guess conservatively in the 250,000-300,000 range.

As a bonus question, do you think that there are more SVT's sold with separate gain and master by now or more with single volume? Since it's the least expensive these days, plus it was the only kind available from 1994-2006, the separate gain/master is definitely more visible, but has it sold more in total than the single volume models, which was the only one available from 1969-1991? My guess is that the separate gain/master has sold slightly more than the single volume by this point, but I'll bet it's very close.

What do you think?

2. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Is the SVT some kind of amp?

Bugeyed Earl, mngnt, Teacher and 20 others like this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Did I post this in Amps? Whoops!

mngnt, TinIndian, Owen Bacon and 11 others like this.
  4. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I'd never even hazard a guess.

It's probably the biggest seller in rock music since it's release. Most of the supplied backlines that I've played are SVTs, so they are common there as well.

LowRenzo and JimmyM like this.
  5. And to think it was usurped by digital modeling technology at least 5 years ago but still sells.

6. Enough to throw a massive party with?

bobyoung53, kesslari and JimmyM like this.
  7. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I've tried modelling. Nothing beats a lead sled IMHO.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    HAHA!

mngnt, One Drop, bobyoung53 and 4 others like this.
  9. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    If every SVT made fired 3 Eb whole notes out of every 8x10 made would it blow off the Earth's atmosphere, or shift it's orbit?

Did Tuvan throat singers predict the coming of the SVT?

Legend has it Suzuki designers benchmarked what the GSXR750 should feel like off the line by standing in front of a pair of 8x10's powered by a white toggle, square case SVT.

10. yes, I jest.

TuneIn and tfer like this.
  11. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Bigger question is where are they all?

12. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    The 80's were a time of general lapse of "bass rig reasoning" for a lot of people LOL! Even I succumbed to it when I sold my V4B/SVT810 rig, which I had gigged for 10 years and was the best tone I've ever gotten from a bass rig, to downsize to a Yamaha B100 combo.

Seriously though, I can't even venture a good guess on how many SVTs have been sold but I'll try anyway. I don't think a million have been sold, but it has to be at least a 100,000?

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    JimmyM likes this.
  13. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    I've often pondered where all the musical instruments and amps produced since Fender started mass production. The industry just keeps cranking them out.

Not many products have been in production and used in professional settings for so many years. They must have sold enough.

I imagine that the SVT-CL sells more than the VR and all other SVT revisions. But they sold an awful lot of the original designed units back in the day when everyone wanted a big amp.

SirMjac28 and JimmyM like this.
  14. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    They've been abducted by aliens maybe LOL? Hmmm, wonder what happened to my old Teisco Del Ray bass and Danelectro Bass amp?

JimmyM and beans-on-toast like this.
  15. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    I have no idea, but every single production company in the world has one. That's at least 100 or so.

JimmyM likes this.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Nobody but me is willing to guess on the amount?

17. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    I'll start with my number from a few posts back, plus some - so 48 years, at 2500 per year, that's 120,000, plus another 30,000. I'm going to say 150,000. OK, that's my final answer!
    You know the actual answer to this - don't you? LOL!

18. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Taking all the SVT models into account, I figure that 250K+ is reasonable.

jmattbassplaya and JimmyM like this.
  19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Sorry...somehow missed your guess. Personally I think you're low, but I could be wrong.

johnpbass likes this.
  20. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Martin is one guitar maker. Granted they've been doing it since 1833. Here is their TWO MILLIONth guitar. Maybe those SVT estimates need to be cranked up.

Gravedigger Dav, JimmyM and johnpbass like this.