how many tb'ers make a living playing bass?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by buddahbass, Jan 4, 2005.

1. buddahbass

Dec 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    i was just curious to see how many people on here used playing bass as there main source of income. i'm not talking about being 16, living with your mom and doing gigs on the weekend. but people who can support themselves and family from playing music. and if you do, what type of situation it is
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  3. slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Endorsing Artist: David Eden Amplifiers / Rob Wave Custom basses
    For the last 2 years my bass has been my main source of income.
  4. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    i totally read the title wrong.

for some whacked out reason i thought you were referring to something akin too growing a tree from a sapling with bass strings that as it grew the strings came under tension. i imagined the strings would resonate as the tree grew, and or wind blew thru. (an alive, self-playing, bass).

the funny part was that i was thinking you were the wacko when i opened this thread, only to find out it was me.

5. When I finished college last April I picked up a few gigs since I didn't have a job yet, and it's ended up being my main source of income for the last 8 months now - along with the occasional sound tech work.

I'm certainly not in a position to support a family with it, but I am supporting myself while living in a crappy apartment and eating less than I should.
  6. Yep that's my main source of income
  7. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Do you guys that make a living at it find that you have to sell your artistry a little to get by? It seems like it would be hard to make the kind of music you want if you have to think about getting the gigs or studio projects which pay the best.
  8. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
  9. I think Mike Watt and Michael Manring both get along.
  10. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    did for about the last year, just recently went back to having a day gig... ahhh health insurance. Man, a couple ER trips and I was broke quick!
  11. RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    Kept me out off hock during the 80's. I was a regular bass slut, you pay I play. Might be metal one night backing a gospel trio the next day. Supported me through Medic and Nursing schools then I quit for about 12 years never touched them. Back picking up occasiional pop money now. (Why did I give dad my 12 string and get him playing gospel??) :p
  12. ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Dude, that would be way cool on a T-shirt.... :D :D

BASS SLUT pay...I play....
  13. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I feel both lucky and blessed to say that I make my living playing bass.
    I have not had a job other than being a musician since 1993. As such, I do solo gigs (frequently), sideman and sessions (and yes, for several "name" artists), teach, write, compose music for film, produce.....

I just bought a new home,on acreage, complete with hefty mortgage, and make a very comfortable living as a bassist. It has at times been quite a struggle, but I am consideration myself truely blessed to be able to make a living and care for my family doing something I love to do.

14. willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    i make my living playing bass live and on sessions,recently i have started teaching again and i write songs and produce music,many income streams all having to do with music,and im doing ok
  15. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I wish :meh:

I haven't even had an income for over 3 years, just scraping up cash here and there. I would love my sole source of income to come from the bass: solo work, freelance, and teaching would be nice. :)
  16. dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    yeah i play and teach and just about scrape by, with a bit of decorating on the side when times get hard....

17. Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    I would be the opposite for me .. people would end up paying me not to play... Id be rich! Need to check into this...
  18. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Here's a bumper sticker I saw not too long ago:

19. I certainly don't. If you can take care of a wife, kids, mortgage, car payments, health insurance, etc, etc, etc, by playing you're a blessed individual.